Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15t-df000 CTO
Linux

If I have my mouse plugged in and, I set the BIOS to boot in non legacy mode*(required for secure boot**), and boot directly to Grub, the Grub countdown won't start.

*(I can hit the button to pick what it'll boot to, and that'll work, even if it's the same as what I set the default to be, or even press escape here, also having the mouse unplugged during power on before Grub shows up works too.)
** This issue occurs in non legacy mode irregardless to the secure boot setting

Logitech G600 mouse

System is up to date, Debian 10, Windows 10

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BryanFRitt 

I'm sorry, but HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled.

IF you replace that with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

Modern PCs with UEFI, instead of the older BIOS, are especially difficult to install because you have to go into the UEFI settings and make several changes before you can even boot from a USB stick -- and we are unable to assist in that work.

Your best bet for support now is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

"I'm sorry, but HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled."

I mainly wanted to do this as a bug report, so that others will less likely have this problem, and/or be able to handle it better. I can boot in legacy enabled mode fine. (or I could spend more effort every boot so that it starts up, either show that choose EFI menu, or unplug the mouse)

What's the difference between just letting it startup, and hitting the HP button to pick EFI to boot from and either pressing esc, or picking the same one the BIOS is set to? It seems like the only difference is something HP is doing it's power up vs. showing that menu option. Shouldn't pressing esc here be the same as whatever the default is set to, and have Grub starting from the same place?

I'm mainly posting here to help others that may come across this issue. Like so they get an idea that they can try enabling legacy mode, and/or that so HP knows there could be an issue with BIOS that they can maybe try to figure it out, etc...

HP Recommended

@BryanFRitt 

OK -- sorry for misunderstanding your post -- but, as I said, HP does not support Linux.  HP does not read these threads for technical information, and there is basically no one I can send this information to because they don't deal with Grub.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

"HP does not support Linux"

As far as I know, Linux doesn't change anything about BIOS, and BIOS is done by the hardware makers, in this case HP.

"What's the difference between just letting it startup, and hitting the HP button to pick EFI to boot from and either pressing esc, or picking the same one the BIOS is set to [default to]? It seems like the only difference is something HP is doing it's power up vs. showing that menu option. Shouldn't pressing esc here be the same as whatever the default is set to, and have Grub starting from the same place?"

Shouldn't the state of the computer be the same in these situations be exactly the same before anything else touches it?  aka if it succeeds in one, it succeeds in others; if it fails in one, it fails in others in exactly the same way. And there be no way for anything software-wise on the computer to tell which of these ways the computer started up.

For Grub or any other software to act differently in these situations, the BIOS would have to act differently in these situations. In all these cases the BIOS should end up at the same spot, but it doesn't, as shown by Grub acting differently between them.

HP Recommended

I tried it again... in non-legacy mode

Things happen as I described earlier, but this time, I noticed that the mouse lighting goes dark when it attempts to boot without going through the pick efi menu(F9)*. (in addition to Grub freezing and not counting down). And if I show the pick efi menu(F9)*, etc**... the mouse lighting stays lit when Grub shows up. (in addition to Grub working and counting down)

*forgot the exact name of this menu, so I'm calling it 'pick efi' menu(at least for now)

** press 'esc', or default choice

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.