Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-ce0501sa
Microsoft Windows 11

Trust me, I'm a novice... with two presumably connected issues:

1. Periodic blackscreening when in normal use. Doesn't appear to be a specific action/cause.

2. Power button stuck in stand by mode (flashing) when powered back up and will not boot.

The only solution I have found is to close the screen down/open it up again (sometimes several times) notebook will eventually boot up normally. Under moderate use the laptop will work fine for days/weeks until same issue.

Took it to a repair shop and they said it was needing a new motherboard. I was thinking it may be power/battery related? Any help welcome, a solid,  relatively new laptop I'd like to save is possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sad to say, the repair shop is probably right. Sounds like some component on the motherboard is marginal, working sometimes and not others. Just a matter of time before it stops altogether.

The value line of HP laptops aren't designed to last much beyond the warranty period. Any of the tiny components on the motherboard that fail render the device unbootable, and repair costs can exceed half the cost of an upgrade.

It is also possible the thermal cycling could cause the solder joints to become marginally connected. The only practical solution is a motherboard replacement.

Even if you replace the motherboard, your replacement will suffer from the same subpar design, so better to put the money towards a new, higher quality laptop or a newer design budget laptop.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Sad to say, the repair shop is probably right. Sounds like some component on the motherboard is marginal, working sometimes and not others. Just a matter of time before it stops altogether.

The value line of HP laptops aren't designed to last much beyond the warranty period. Any of the tiny components on the motherboard that fail render the device unbootable, and repair costs can exceed half the cost of an upgrade.

It is also possible the thermal cycling could cause the solder joints to become marginally connected. The only practical solution is a motherboard replacement.

Even if you replace the motherboard, your replacement will suffer from the same subpar design, so better to put the money towards a new, higher quality laptop or a newer design budget laptop.

HP Recommended

Thats very helpful on several levels, thank you for the information. Have to say I was expecting more from this device which was in excess of £500 with upgraded processor chip. Low to moderate use only.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.