Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite x2 1012 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a HP Elite x2 notebook, I have installed Kubuntu (A flavour of Ubuntu) on my 32GB Micro SD card in my computer, I would like to find a way to add the SD reader to the boot order, I know how to change the boot order, but the SD card reader does not show as bootable, the SD card is bootable though.

Regards,

Toy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Toy;

Can you burn a .ISO image file of KUBUNTU onto a USB memory stick and then boot from that ?

Just last week I was able to create a selectable boot start-up on my HP laptop SSD after booting from a USB memory stick with a LINUX MINT .ISO image file on it.

If you decide to try this then you'll want to be aware that some USB memory sticks will show-up as being bootable and others will not. In my situation I found (after trying to figure out what was wrong for two days) that a SanDisk 16GB 'Cruzer' USB memory stick (USB 2.0 interface) would show-up as being something that my HP laptop would boot from.

(Regards)

- Paul

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Toydotgam 

You generally can NOT boot from memory cards as that option is not present in most PCs -- and sorry, there is no way to add it if it does not show up in the boot devices list.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Toy;

Can you burn a .ISO image file of KUBUNTU onto a USB memory stick and then boot from that ?

Just last week I was able to create a selectable boot start-up on my HP laptop SSD after booting from a USB memory stick with a LINUX MINT .ISO image file on it.

If you decide to try this then you'll want to be aware that some USB memory sticks will show-up as being bootable and others will not. In my situation I found (after trying to figure out what was wrong for two days) that a SanDisk 16GB 'Cruzer' USB memory stick (USB 2.0 interface) would show-up as being something that my HP laptop would boot from.

(Regards)

- Paul

HP Recommended

@WB5AGF 

The OP said they "installed" the Linux distro onto the SD card -- so they want to boot from that and run it -- but their PC does not support booting from SD cards, and there is no way to add that to the boot devices menu.

But, you are right in that they can create a "persistent" install of Kubuntu to a USB stick -- and then run from that by booting using that USB stick.  That requires special prep of the USB stick and they would need to check with the Kubuntu forums to see how to do that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have actually installed Kubuntu to a USB drive, but it is too bulky to leave in and run, and the fit does not feel secure for what my entire computer runs on. I hoped to find a way in the BIOS or a software tool to make the Micro SD reader a boot device, as I had also installed Kubuntu there.
After reading, I have purchased a small USB drive that will certainly be able to run Linux and is good enough for me. (USB can be found here!)

Thanks,

Toy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.