Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z5E80EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, 

The touchpad and keyboard of my laptop stops responding after waking up from sleep mode.

This symptom took place after the last windows update somewhere early november, 

After a cold startup everything functions normally. without any problems.

When putting the laptop in sleep mode, either via powerbutton or lid, you can still wake the laptop with the keyboard or touchpad, after that everything stops responding.

Mousepointer isn't visible.

bios is updated, mousedriver is reinstalled, did the battery out-60secs powerdown thingy, reinstall to factory settings,tinkered with wakeupsettings keyboard-touchpad, none of it made any difference.

I cant imagine that HP or their drivers is to blame, but then again, I expect to find more quality assistance here then at microsoft. 🙂

Is this a more common problem, and what´s to do about ?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@speedyy,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post that you're having issues with the keyboard and mouse not working after waking the computer from sleep after the recent windows update. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

In this scenario, let's try these steps here: 

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. In Device Manager, locate the keyboard, and then double-click the device name.
3. Click the Power Management tab, and then Select the option "Allow this device to wake the computer" checkbox.
4. Click Ok.
5. Locate the touchpad and Repeat step 2 and 3.

Also, update the drivers of both Keyboard and the touchpad using this 
link.

Alternatively, I would suggest here is to Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to update the Bios and chipset drivers on your PC using HP Support Assistant

To download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Once done, restart the computer.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've followed all above steps, 

The touchpad driver rollback gave me a "code 10" msg and fails to function completely on the HP driver.

Funny thin i noticed.....USB also refuses to work after waking up, as an external mouse wouldnt function also.

Unfortunately the rest of the steps wouldnt work also.

I've updated again to the newest Synaptics driver, so everything works in cold start again.

HP Recommended

@speedyy

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

At this point I suggests you do a Reset.

Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've already done that last week, are you recomending me to do it again? 🙂

HP Recommended

@speedyy 

Did the Reset fix the sleep mode problem temporarily last week?

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've reported the same issue via https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Internal-keyboard-and-touchpad-unresponsive-after/m-p..., but unfortunately no solution thus far.

HP Recommended

In the thread I opened (see link in my post of 18 July 2019) I was promised that HP Support would contact me about this issue. Since then I've had about ten private messages all promising that someone will contact me, but nothing has happened. As that thread has been closed for unknown reasons , I'm reporting the situation here.

HP Recommended

I think I have finally found a work-around/solution. My laptop (Elitebook 8540p) running Windows 10 goes to sleep after 10 minutes or so without activity (or when I close the lid). When it wakes up, the touch-pad is generally inoperative. This has been going on for some time and I thought it was a driver problem. I can uninstall the driver and restart and this used to "fix" the problem. Today, this didn't work! I have read just about every article on the net regarding this.

My solution was to force the laptop to sleep (Fn)<F3> (the function key with the moon). Once the laptop has gone to sleep, press the power button and the laptop wakes up and, hey presto, the touch-pad is working again.

This suggests Windows is not talking to the laptop's bios.

The gurus at HP might need to look into this.

HP Recommended

Thanks for that information Doug29, but unfortunately my Omen laptop does not have such a key so this is not a solution for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.