Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Probook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys.

I recently removed the cmos battery on my hp and it fails to boot, it just runs the fan once and does not even get to post (power on self test) kindly assist what could be the problem for my computer had a bios password (that I remember) before removing the cmos battery could that have created the problem in the first place? But more importantly how do I solve this problem at hand?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@dannyjrvann 

Why did you remove the CMOS battery -- to reset the BIOS password? Had you bothered to ask here BEFORE you did that, we would have told you it was a waste of time and the only way to reset the BIOS password now would be to replace the entire motherboard -- which is still the case.  So, even if you get this working, which I now doubt, you will still be faced with the BIOS password issue.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I was not trying to reset the bios password, I know my bios password what I need now is how do I flash the bios? If I am prompted to enter the bios password I can enter it because I know it

HP Recommended

@dannyjrvann 

OK, password aside, why are you convinced this is a BIOS issue? If you can't even get to POST, my guess would be that the motherboard has failed and flashing a BIOS will do nothing for that.

Regardless, here is the link to the HP software page for your model:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-4540s-notebook-pc/5229455

You can download the BIOS update from there.  Once you have that, since you apparently can't boot your PC to run that update, then read the information below about making a boot USB and adding the BIOS update to it:

This is an indirect method for creating a BIOS update boot USB stick -- which comes in useful if you can not boot your PC into Windows and you need to do a BIOS update.

Macrium Reflect (MR) is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (is disk or USB form) that can then be used to Repair your PC.

It is available from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick
3) Open File Explorer to point to the USB stick
4) Create a folder on the USB stick named Apps
5) Download the HP BIOS Update file (this is a self-extracting archive file)
6) Copy the HP BIOS Update file to the Apps folder on the USB stick

NOW, you have a bootable USB stick that also contains the HP BIOS update file

Boot your original PC from the USB stick. It will take a few minutes, so you have to be patient. Could be 3 MINUTES or longer -- it's slow.

The USB stick is designed to repair Windows problems, but you don't want to do that. So, when you get to the app, down at the bottom-left of the screen are three icons. The right-most is a file manager -- click that to open it. Then, find the HP BIOS Update file and double-click that. That will start the BIOS update process.

When it is done, remove the USB stick and reboot your original PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.