Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-1d46dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello,

My laptop is prone to overheating. I read online that this can be fixed by disassembling and cleaning the laptop. I did so, then carefully reassembled it, and now it makes a beeping sound when I power it on. It beeps 5 times in 3 sets. The beeps are in the pattern of 3 long beeps and 2 short beeps. After it does this 3 times, the sound goes away and leaves only a black screen, a constantly beeping Caps Lock (once every 4-5 seconds) and a constant light on the airplane mode button and the AC adapter LED appears to be normal. 

I tried reseating the clock battery, Hard Drive and RAM card many times and also hard resetting. I also could not find any relevant posts related to my issue, and the few that dealt with the same beep code did not provide helpful solutions. I should also note my laptop is very old, but has been working fine (besides the overheating) up until I disassembled it.

Please Help and Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Different BIOS manufacturers such as AMI, Phoenix, Award, American Megatrends, etc.,  have different beep codes and the codes can vary depending on what version of BIOS. So it would be useful to know whose BIOS chip you have. If you can ID your motherboard you should be able to determine it's BIOS manufacturer. If you are lucky, sometimes there is a sticker on the BIOS chip or it is printed on the chip. 

Have you tried an external monitor? It may be a graphics failure.

Have you tried booting with NO memory modules installed.

Curious to know if the beep sequence changes.

Here are some POST troubleshooting steps that you might find helpful.

Here is a list of beep codes from various manufacturers. I don't know how 'dated' this list is.

You can pick up a used memory module on ebay for a few bucks if you wan't to try a different stick of memory.

Since the system worked prior to disassembly I would carefully check EVERY connection to make sure everything is connected properly and securely.

I don't know if I can help any further than I already have. 

Good luck! :generic:

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
        If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Please review this support article: Blink & Beep Codes

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon.
         If my answer solved your problem please mark it as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thanks but as I mentioned before, I tried these methods before several times to no avail, and my caps lock does not beep in a ratio type of pattern, it is just a white led blinking once every 4-5 seconds. The only thing I did not already try was blowing air into the vent, but I took it apart and cleaned it that way.

HP Recommended

I don't mean to send you on a 'wild goose chase' but here is another troubleshooting guide. This one is linked from your computers support home page.

Computer Does Not Start

They also offer a guided solution were a fixes are suggested based on your specific symptoms.

If you have more than one memory module installed you can try installing just one module at a time into different slots to rule out a bad module or slot. 

HP Recommended

Okay I tried moving the RAM card. My computer only has one though. It still does not work though. It would help to know what the beep tone meant. Can't find many sources for my specific beep tone. But after looking at the support page I found out that my pc doesn't have LED tones because it is older than 2009.

HP Recommended

Different BIOS manufacturers such as AMI, Phoenix, Award, American Megatrends, etc.,  have different beep codes and the codes can vary depending on what version of BIOS. So it would be useful to know whose BIOS chip you have. If you can ID your motherboard you should be able to determine it's BIOS manufacturer. If you are lucky, sometimes there is a sticker on the BIOS chip or it is printed on the chip. 

Have you tried an external monitor? It may be a graphics failure.

Have you tried booting with NO memory modules installed.

Curious to know if the beep sequence changes.

Here are some POST troubleshooting steps that you might find helpful.

Here is a list of beep codes from various manufacturers. I don't know how 'dated' this list is.

You can pick up a used memory module on ebay for a few bucks if you wan't to try a different stick of memory.

Since the system worked prior to disassembly I would carefully check EVERY connection to make sure everything is connected properly and securely.

I don't know if I can help any further than I already have. 

Good luck! :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.