Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 15t - eb000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received my newly purchased HP Spectre. I noticed my device hibernates instead of sleep. My settings are set to Sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity, however, it goes into hibernate mode and I need to press the power button to turn it back on (mouse or keyboard does not wake it up)

I have tried different troubleshooting methods including:

1) I have already changed the settings in "Power & Sleep settings". It is supposed to Sleep after 30 minutes but it goes to hibernate mode instead.

2) I have deselected "Turn of Fast Startup"

3) I have already attempted to allow my keyboard and mouse to wake my computer up under their respective "Power Management" tabs but those tabs do not exist for this device.

4) I have already checked for Windows updates and HP Support updates

Is there a fix for this so that my computer goes to sleep after inactivity instead of hibernate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@StaleCrackers

Please perform a SFC Scan and if the issue persists try creating a New User Account and check if that works

SFC Scan : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

New User Account: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@StaleCrackers,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not going to sleep mode.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Press ‘Win + I’ shortcut keys to open Windows Settings app.

Click on ‘Update & Security’, then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ section from the left-side menu.

Scroll downwards a bit and click on the ‘Power’ option.

Click on ‘Run the Troubleshooter’. It will start detecting the problems and if it founds, go ahead fixing it.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps.

On your keyboard, press ‘Windows key + R’ and type ‘Powercfg.cpl’ in it.

Hit the ‘Enter’ key to open power options in the control panel.

From the left-hand side, click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’.

Then, click on the link ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable’.

From the bottom given power button options, uncheck the ‘Turn on fast startup’ option.

Click on ‘Save changes’ button.

If the issue persists, follow the below steps.

Go to the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘Control panel’ then hit the ‘Enter’ key.

From the top-right filter, choose ‘Large icons’ and navigate to the ‘Power Options’,

Click and open the ‘Power options’.

Select the power plan according to your requirement and click on ‘Change plan settings’.

Click on ‘Change advanced power settings’.

In the power options windows, click on the button ‘Restore plan defaults’.

Click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ button.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your reponse. I tried those troubleshooting steps and the problem persists; it hibernates after about an hour of inactivity instead of staying in sleep mode. I have it set to only hibernate after 180 minutes in inactivity.

HP Recommended

@StaleCrackers

Please perform a SFC Scan and if the issue persists try creating a New User Account and check if that works

SFC Scan : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

New User Account: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, it appears the first solution resolved the issue. Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.