Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-p077tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

My HP Pavilion 15-p077tx does not turn on. On pressing the power button, the power led goes off for a second and then comes back on and the laptop won't turn on.  

Sometimes the laptop turns on and turns off abruptly within 5-10 minutes. Sometimes it shows "Thermal Shutdown - System 90d" error on turning on. It started working for 4-5 days but then again the same problems. 

I have tried the following:

1. Updated BIOS but no effect.
  2. Reset PC but no effect
  3. Changed the fan 3 times and thermal paste on the processors but still no effect.
  4. Changed the ram but no effect
  5. My keyboard had 2 keys dis-functioning so i replaced that too.
  6. Tried another working hard drive but still the same result.

Please help me resolve this. It has been 3-4 months I have been trying various ways to solve it and get my laptop working. 

Thanks,

Harshal

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Harshal11 

You indicated you already changed the system fan and thermal paste.  So, the continued thermal shutdown message implies that the processor got damaged through overheating -- and unlike with desktops, those aren't socketed (except in high-end business laptops) and can't be replaced.

You MIGHT be able to run hardware diagnostics by pressing the Esc key repeatedly and then, when the HP Startup Menu appears, select Diagnostics (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

hi, Thanks for your reply. Laptop does not turn on at all. On pressing power button, fan rotates for 1 second, power led goes off for 1 second and comes up again. Nothing happens. Whenever it started for 5-10 minutes, I managed to run diagnostics and Processor passed all the tests.

HP Recommended

@Harshal11 

OK ... could be a faulty thermal sensor on the motherboard and I know of no way to check for that.

Ii you have to get the motherboard replaced, those are really hard to find and quite expensive -- such that you really would be better off getting a new or newer laptop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.