Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 15 ep0123tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My one month old Envy laptop started rebooting after the first ten seconds of sleep or hibernation. I googled and tried many solutions like reinstalling display drivers, update bios to latest, alter power settings etc etc, but no resolution. Since system is under warranty, I raised a case and the support agent suggested to reset the operating system after backing up the data.

Before resetting Windows I want to consider the following facts because I am not very convinced that this is an OS issue.

1)  I see Event 41 in event viewer and the problem behavior is same as described here -

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wake-up-from-sleep-causes-kernel-power-error-4...

2) No mini dumps from OS. Apparently, Windows see that the hardware just rebooted for reasons unknown to OS.

3) I tried several patterns. Removed all extra peripherals including charger. It still reboots within a few seconds once the lid is closed or put to sleep using power options from Windows Start Menu or just allow to sleep from activity timeout.

I am working with the laptop  by setting a power-plan with sleep/hibernate disabled. Anyone here encountered similar issue with any resolution ? Any directions etc ?

- Thankyou.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So I tested for last one week. No issues during sleep / hibernation. Resetting the OS is an easy solution to suggest, not done.

I would not call this a solution. But a workaround as I have disabled HP assistance and related services off as well as a few intel services which doesn't seems to visibly impact normal functioning of the system.

If you can't reset the OS because you have lot of work and a long setup to do, you can try the following.

1) Use msconfig and opt for clean boot instead of normal boot. Hide all Microsoft services in the service tab, and disable every other services in the list.

2) Reboot and verify whether sleep and hibernate is working properly without getting into the reboot problem. (For me it worked properly. Issue did not happen)

3) Use msconfig and set to normal-boot again, but this time, hide the MS services once again and enable only necessary services like antivirus, Nvidia graphics, Intel audio, and any other third party that is necessary for your work. Keep HP and all other Intel services disabled. Reboot and verify whether sleep and hibernate is working properly. For me, it worked. I left it as it is because I am not in a position to reset and setup the OS and work environment once again. 

Unless we enable those disabled services one by one, we may not be able to reproduce and research the problem and its solution. Hence I call this approach a quick workaround. 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

An update for anyone visiting/watching this thread or facing the same issue:

This is a difficult problem and attempts to reset BIOS to factory default (recommended by support agent), flash with latest BIOS firmware (F.03 Rev A) once more did not resolve the problem.

Uninstalling and reinstalling display drivers for both Intel UHD and NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti drivers did not resolve the problem. Tried the latest NVIDIA studio driver from NVIDIA site too.  Problem persisted.

Attempted a "clean boot" by disabling all non-microsoft services and drivers and observed that the problem did not occur during last 15 hrs. I tried sleeping/hibernating the laptop several times. It is not rebooting.

I switched back to normal boot, but enabled only a few services that is required and kept HP and Intel related system management services disabled. I am running my development environment in Linux using Oracle VirualBox. So far, I let the laptop sleep twice and it woke up properly without rebooting so far. I will observe and post it here.

Curiously, I am told that another laptop used in my family circle, a Lenovo L340 15-IRH started rebooting during sleep/hibernate after a Windows update it installed yesterday. By hardware, NVIDIA GTX display driver is the only common thing.

I am really wondering.. Is this driver related or OS related ? 

HP Recommended

So I tested for last one week. No issues during sleep / hibernation. Resetting the OS is an easy solution to suggest, not done.

I would not call this a solution. But a workaround as I have disabled HP assistance and related services off as well as a few intel services which doesn't seems to visibly impact normal functioning of the system.

If you can't reset the OS because you have lot of work and a long setup to do, you can try the following.

1) Use msconfig and opt for clean boot instead of normal boot. Hide all Microsoft services in the service tab, and disable every other services in the list.

2) Reboot and verify whether sleep and hibernate is working properly without getting into the reboot problem. (For me it worked properly. Issue did not happen)

3) Use msconfig and set to normal-boot again, but this time, hide the MS services once again and enable only necessary services like antivirus, Nvidia graphics, Intel audio, and any other third party that is necessary for your work. Keep HP and all other Intel services disabled. Reboot and verify whether sleep and hibernate is working properly. For me, it worked. I left it as it is because I am not in a position to reset and setup the OS and work environment once again. 

Unless we enable those disabled services one by one, we may not be able to reproduce and research the problem and its solution. Hence I call this approach a quick workaround. 

Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.