Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, so are on start up the computer starts the fan runs and screen is illuminated with initial go logo screen. Then it goes to a black screen with a little white dash ( - ) blinking on top left corner. And that's where it has stayed and it won't go past that pages. PLEASE HELP WITH DIAGNOSTICS, I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL,

THOMAS

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@T-53 

You mention using a DV7 but you say you are running Win10.  I thought the DV7s came with Win7, which means if yours did, then you upgraded the laptop to Win10, and this is for a laptop that is what, about 5 years old?

Asking because that flashing cursor means not only that the boot files have been corrupted or are missing, but that critical Windows OS files are also corrupted or missing -- and both of those imply a failed hard drive.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

Please report back the test results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.