Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi Visruth and other experts,

I shut down my laptop improperly this morning and now can't get it back on.  The power light is on the fan is turning but it can't continue to load (So the internet is not on).  There is no blinking LED or code.   Even I connect it to an external monitor I can't see anything.  **Note my previous post on "the laptop starts but screen remains dim".  Though I have not disassembled the piece for further diagnosis, I was able to use the laptop with external monitor connected.  However,  I have not been able to access the BIOS screen since the laptop screen went dim.

I think the improperly shut-down cause some problem.  I have tried hard reset many times but it still does not bring it to load all the way.  Pls help. Thanks.

HP Recommended
Hi,

In that case, reseat hard drive and RAM module, check again.

Try different AC adapter charger in another AC power outlet after removing the battery.

Troubleshoot with this: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01443371

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended
Hi Visruth,
I placed only one memory module in a different slot and it works. should I replace the other memory card? Will those files on the memory card lost?
HP Recommended
When I put the 2nd memory card in a different slot (one card only) I can see a dim HP icon on my laptop screen but nothing on the external monitor. Obviously, the first card works better. It boots, shows on external monitor but a dim screen on laptop.
HP Recommended

Try RAMs in different slots and see if it is the fault is RAM or slot.

HP Recommended

I alternated the RAMs in different slots and found they all worked.   Now, I still have pre-existing issue which is the screen remains dim.  I am using external monitor but would like to find out why I couldn't access BIOs on my Windows 7.  Shall I press F2 when pressing the power button?  It didn't work when I pressed Window icon+B key as instructed in the HP video.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

It is display hardware issue. May be connector, cable or panel itself.

HP Recommended
Before disassembling the panel, is there other app or program to run diagnosis of the hardware?
HP Recommended
Thanks.
HP Recommended

Since you're getting display on connecting to external monitor, it is indicative of laptop display hardware faulty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.