Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 15-dk100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my laptop was shut down in the middle of a windows update and ever since it has been stuck in a loop where it turns on for a short while then turns off. I have tried to reinstall windows 10 with a USB flash drive, though the same outcome happens. Am I forgetting to do some crucial step?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BlightedLime wrote:

The USB drive was being read, everytime the laptop booted up the USB drive's light would flash. I could select the USB drive from the boot menu but it would always turn off when I selected it. T

Something does not seem right. 

You put the USB in and power up

F9 brings up a list of devices to boot

You select the USB and the LED on the USB does not turn on  or flash any more??

That indicates that a bootable OS was not installed on the USB drive.  When you ran the OS (cloud ?) install it should have taken about 15 - 20 minutes to download and install the OS onto the flash.

Something must have gone wrong.,  I really recommend you take the system to a shop that can re-install windows for you.

Also, do not attempt to update the bios like I suggested in an earlier post..  I suspect the problem is the settings in the bios (not the bios itself) and something going wrong with the re-install of the OS.  There is probably nothing wrong with the laptop itself.  You need a professional to look at it.

Check warranty, some retail shows offer 2 year

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

You may need to restore your laptop from the HP cloud recovery

I am guessing that your product ID is  6WC39UA#ABA

If I am wrong please change it at the below website

https://d34z73bbtpzgej.cloudfront.net/

Post the full product ID here if the above site does not recognized your laptop

I have never done a cloud recovery from HP but I understand  you may need a 32gb USB flash drive.

From what you described it seems you need to do a factor reinstall

instructions are here
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_4511095-4511141-16

HP Recommended

I've tried to boot it via the 32gb USB with cloud recovery on it though it doesn't seem to have solved it. It is still stuck in the loop of booting on and off again. While my product ID is different (it is: 8VD55AV) the site said it should still work. 

HP Recommended

Sanity check:  Please press ESC after powering on and run the disk diagnostic for one pass to ensure the disk is OK.

Then go into bios and verify you have secure boot enabled and the boot device is "Windows boot manager"

Verify the date and time are correct.

I am unsure why the system is constantly rebooting. It is stuck in a startup repair loop?

You need to do a startup repair of the system that was installed from the cloud.

When booting the 32gb flash is there an option to  repair such as shown in below image that is 3:40 minutes into this video.

BeemerBiker_0-1665198658552.png

if not then ***

Select the repair options.

Select startup repair

BeemerBiker_1-1665199082531.png

*** if the 32gb boot USB does not have the repair option then you need to download the Microsoft windows 10  installation media.. I think it takes 8gb USB flash.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Your product is supported by the cloud

BeemerBiker_2-1665199318418.png

after executing the bold blue URL in the dialog box did you enter 8VD55AV#ABA when asked for Product ID?

HP Recommended

I ran the system diagnostic again and everything passed, secure boot is enabled and it is using the windows boot manager, the date and time are correct. I made sure to say that the product ID was 8VD55AV when downloading the cloud fix. The laptop doesn't get to that point where the windows logo even appears, it just starts up to a block screen then turns off immediately. It then just keeps turning on and off until it runs out of battery. When I try and boot the 32gb flash drive the same thing  happens where the computer turns off and turns on to a black screen before shutting off a few seconds later.

HP Recommended

Not good.

When you put the USB in and booted the system did the USB LED (if any) flash indicating data was being read from it?

Possibly the USB was not used.  Did you use the F9 key to force the USB to be read as described here?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04346420#:~:text=Press%20F9%20to%20open%20the,enable%20Legacy....

If you cannot select the USB flash drive from the Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Mode in BIOS

If none of these options (F1, F2, F9i etc) show up then 

Please try the bios recovery shown in step 3 below.  There is a video.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_3932413-2337994-16

HP Recommended

The USB drive was being read, everytime the laptop booted up the USB drive's light would flash. I could select the USB drive from the boot menu but it would always turn off when I selected it. The options to use F1, F2, and such are available.

HP Recommended

@BlightedLime wrote:

The USB drive was being read, everytime the laptop booted up the USB drive's light would flash. I could select the USB drive from the boot menu but it would always turn off when I selected it. T

Something does not seem right. 

You put the USB in and power up

F9 brings up a list of devices to boot

You select the USB and the LED on the USB does not turn on  or flash any more??

That indicates that a bootable OS was not installed on the USB drive.  When you ran the OS (cloud ?) install it should have taken about 15 - 20 minutes to download and install the OS onto the flash.

Something must have gone wrong.,  I really recommend you take the system to a shop that can re-install windows for you.

Also, do not attempt to update the bios like I suggested in an earlier post..  I suspect the problem is the settings in the bios (not the bios itself) and something going wrong with the re-install of the OS.  There is probably nothing wrong with the laptop itself.  You need a professional to look at it.

Check warranty, some retail shows offer 2 year

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.