Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 13-ay0008na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has a recurring problem where the screen will stay black after waking it (the back light will come on). Restarting does not fix the problem, it usually just starts working again after a few hours or days. I've sent the laptop to HP for repair twice already (plus a further time for a different issue). The last time seemed to have fixed the problem, but it is now back.

I have contacted HP support on WhatsApp and they have offered to take it for repair again. But I only have a few days left on my warranty - I'm very worried that it will be temporarily fixed, the problem will come back yet again, and I'll be left with a broken laptop.

I've asked the support agent on WhatsApp if there is anything else they can do, like providing a free warranty extension. They have said they can't do anything. I asked if they would escalate the issue and they said their supervisor would not be able to help either.

Is there anything else I can do? Is someone here able to escalate the issue? This laptop clearly has some kind of manufacturing defect that the service centre has been unable to resolve, and I don't feel that I should be left with an unreliable laptop and no support.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Scott-36 

Sorry, but the warranty and service terms are set entirely by HP and we have no influence on those.

UK does have some Consumer Rights laws you can look into that will limit the number of times HP can repair this before they are required to replace it.  You should look into those and as already suggested,  keep copies of the paperwork in a safe place as you will need those if you pursue this matter.

As to lawyers, I don't know what they cost in the UK, but here in the US, the standard rate is $450 per HOUR -- so that's what would have to spend as a minimum to have a lawyer send a letter to HP.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

hi

@Scott-36 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-envy-13-ay0000-x360-convertible-laptop-pc-series/32552483/mo...

as indicated the law in your area is different from the united states
I have already indicated this document to another user, but I do not remember the rest, if this has resulted in something
you shouldn't need to pay anything, but find out.

Consumer legal guarantee

1. For the product to be repaired or replaced free of charge within a reasonable period and without major inconvenience to you;
    or
  2. For an appropriate reduction made to the price or for the contract to be rescinded:
    • if the product cannot be repaired or replaced,
      or
    • if the repair or replacement of the product cannot be done within a reasonable time or without a significant inconvenience to you.
You may exercise the rights above against the seller from whom you purchased your product. These rights expire six years from delivery of the goods for products purchased in England and Wales, and five years from delivery of the goods for products purchased in Scotland.
Unless proved otherwise, any lack of conformity which becomes apparent within six months from delivery of the product shall be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery unless this presumption is incompatible with the nature of the product or the nature of the lack of conformity.
For further information about your statutory rights, you may visit the Citizens Advice website.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

was this reply helpful , or just say "thank you " ? Click on the yes button
Attention
A bios update is not without risk!
Be aware that if you are offered to do so, it will be at your own risk, the computer may become unusable, think about it

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.