Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Community,

I have a new laptop HP ProBook 450 G5 2SY22EA, Intel Core i5 8250, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, etc.

I upgrade the laptop with 2x16 GB RAM 2400 MHz HyperX Impact Black (HX424S14IBK2/32).

The first start after the boot everything is OK, I got the message that the RAM volume is changed, press enter, load up Windows, see the RAM in the resource monitor as well as in the system info (sorry, it's in Russian):screen.jpg

But after the reboot the system won't start and I receive  diagnostic beeps and blinks:

first, 2 long and 2 short beep and blinks (Caps Lock + Num Lock) which goes one time only

then 3 long and 2 short beep and blinks (Caps Lock + Num Lock) which goes for several times

then 3 long and 2 short blinks (Caps Lock) repeatedly up to infinity, so the system does not start.

When I replace the original 8 GB back, the system shows me the error message about the change of RAM volume again (once) and then loads OK, and after reboot, no problem.

What is peculiar is that if I change the RAM back to 2x16 GB again, the first load up will go perfectly fine, as before. But after reboot everything will be messed up again.

The BIOS is the latest BIOS available on the web site which is 01.02.04 Rev.A. I updated it before installing the RAM. It shown me a message before update that I am replacing 01.02.05 with 01.02.04, but I thought that there could not be a newer version.

I believe there is some BIOS, not hardware bug because the system starts initially, and the first code signalizes that there is a BIOS failure itself.

I would be really grateful for your help!

UPD: I did this procedure for three times, so it is unlikely it's a hardware failure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, as promised, I update this thread again.

I replaced the default 8 GB with 16GB CL17 Kingston DDR4 while keeping the HyperX in its slot, and everything works fine after reboot.

Nevertheless, I will keep the default 8 GB with the new CL17 16 GB, and get rid of the HyperX set as it's rendered to be no use to this laptop.

I must conclude that as far as HP does not wish to do anything with this issue and provide compatibility with HyperX or any other fast memory, I will just close this thread with a warning message to anyone willing to try some hi-end RAM in HP ProBook G5 series laptops:

Do not buy any DDR4 2400 RAM with CL less than 17 - this laptop family at the moment does not support it and things are highly unlikely to change in the future.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi

HP say this...

DDR4-2400 SDRAM (transfer rates up to 2400 MT/s)
  note:
System runs at 2133 MT/s (Intel 8th Gen CPU runs at 2400).
(2) SODIMM slots supporting dual-channel memory (both slots are customer accessible/upgradable)
Maximized dual-channel performance requires SODIMMs of the same size and speed in both memory slots.

Due to the non-industry standard nature of some third-party memory modules, only HP branded memory is recommended to ensure compatibility. If memory speeds are mixed, the system performs at the lower memory speed.

Configurations
16 GB total system memory (16 GB x 1 )
16 GB total system memory (8 GB x 2)
12 GB total system memory (8 GB x1 and 4 GB x1)
8 GB total system memory (8 GB x 1)
8 GB total system memory (4 GB x 2)
4 total system memory (4 GB x 1)
Maximum
Up to 32 GB

So I cannot see a fault.  But equally I cannot see a solution.

CMOS/RTC battery recently replaced?

HP Recommended

It's a new laptop produced in April 2018, so I don't know when the battery was replaced.

I will try inserting single modules and updating BIOS again, and keep this thread updated.

HP Recommended

I updated all the software via  the latest HP SoftPaq, and the latest BIOS there was 01.02.04 Rev. A, not 01.02.05 which was pre-installed on my laptop.

I tried to do following things:

1) installed each single 16 GB memory stick to DIMM 1 and  DIMM 2 separately (4 combinations in total);

2) run built-in Windows 10 memory test for 2x16 GB when the laptop boots successfully (after the change from 8 GB);

3) tried combination of the new 16 GB and the initial 8 GB.

The results:

1) after each combination 1x16 GB in the first case the scenario for 2x16 GB repeated: successful boot, then beeping, blinking and no boot. More than that, if I reinstall any single stick to any slot after the beeping/blinking, it will not change the situation at all (I tried different combinations including inserting 2x16 GB), and it returns to the bootable condition only if I install the initial 8 GB stick to any slot.

2) the memory test has shown that the memory is OK, I put the results in XML below:

Spoiler
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-MemoryDiagnostics-Results" Guid="{5F92BC59-248F-4111-86A9-E393E12C6139}" />
<EventID>1101</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-05-31T19:55:30.930432900Z" />
<EventRecordID>2747</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="6588" ThreadID="2800" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DRFENT-HP</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <UserData>
- <Results xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2005/08/windows/Reliability/Postboot/Events">
<LaunchType>Manual</LaunchType>
<CompletionType>Pass</CompletionType>
<MemorySize>32663</MemorySize>
<TestType>10</TestType>
<TestDuration>6587</TestDuration>
<TestCount>12</TestCount>
<NumPagesTested>8329342</NumPagesTested>
<NumPagesUnTested>1526</NumPagesUnTested>
<NumBadPages>0</NumBadPages>
<T1NumBadPages>0</T1NumBadPages>
<T2NumBadPages>0</T2NumBadPages>
<T3NumBadPages>0</T3NumBadPages>
<T4NumBadPages>0</T4NumBadPages>
<T5NumBadPages>0</T5NumBadPages>
<T6NumBadPages>0</T6NumBadPages>
<T7NumBadPages>0</T7NumBadPages>
<T8NumBadPages>0</T8NumBadPages>
<T9NumBadPages>0</T9NumBadPages>
<T10NumBadPages>0</T10NumBadPages>
<T11NumBadPages>0</T11NumBadPages>
<T12NumBadPages>0</T12NumBadPages>
<T13NumBadPages>0</T13NumBadPages>
<T14NumBadPages>0</T14NumBadPages>
<T15NumBadPages>0</T15NumBadPages>
<T16NumBadPages>0</T16NumBadPages>
</Results>
</UserData>
</Event>

Also, I checked the memory clock with "wmic memorychip get speed" command, and it is 2400 both for my new memory, and for the initial 8 GB stick.

3) the system successfully starts after reboot in the weird combination 8 GB + 16 GB (in any slot combination) which is better than nothing of course, but not the dual channel memory I want.

I will call this a firmware bug, and that's the reason:

1) first of all, the system starts with the new memory, and the memory check shows that hardware is OK, both slots are working at 2400 MHz;

2) when the system starts after swapping 8 GB with the new RAM, it does not load BIOS from the scratch, it changes the settings, and goes on. Perhaps, the rewritten settings have differen timing (CAS latency). However, this settings are suitable for 8 GB, and it loads up OK. The successful load of 16 GB + 8 GB just confirms this suggestion.

So, how can I address this bug, and how can I ensure that every boot will be successful, and use the dual channel memory kit? Is there anywhere I can submit it?

HP Recommended

WOW.

I cannot offer any more help.

HP Recommended

A quick update: HP just released BIOS update through SoftPaq: ver. 01.04.07 A 1.

The problem still persists: the laptop boots fine after the first installation of RAM and does not boot after reboot.

The 16 GB + 8 GB is working fine, and everything rest too.

I just hope that someone from HP support sees this thread and report the bug to the developers.

HP Recommended

Prego.

HP Recommended

Did you manage to find a solution? Because I have the same problem with HyperX 16GB Memory Kit (2x8GB) on my 450 G5 (i7-8550U).

HP Recommended

Hi!

Unfortunately, no.

I believe there is no solution unless HP updates the BIOS for this laptop series.

By the way, for some reason I was not able to update to the latest BIOS version which appeared last week (01.03.00 A1).

HP Recommended

I have updated the BIOS to 01.03.00 A1, but the problem has not disappeared anywhere. After updating BIOS to 1.03.00 I have 2 long beeps and 4 short beeps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.