Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp elitebook 840 g5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, i have elitebook 840 g5 with m.2 ssd 256gb, i5-8350 and 16gb of RAM Samsung memory. My bootup time was great, and from some reason now my laptop booting up 15sec. Can someone help me??

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@SrdjanS 

When Windows Updates get applies, as they do every week, in some cases, they redo settings (without telling you, of course!) and one of those is Fast Startup.

Win10 has enabled a new hibernation process known as Fast Startup -- which is enabled BY DEFAULT. This is different from Fast Boot, which is a BIOS/UEFI option.

Fast Startup is supposed to dramatically speed up the booting process, but in some PCs, it actually slows it down or causes it to hang. It's also a new form of hibernation known as hybrid sleep -- and this causes battery drain to maintain the state of the PC while turned off. In some rare cases, it can also cause a laptop to overheat because the processor is still running and still generating heat, as this has been reported when the laptop was turned off and put inside a case.

Disabling Fast Startup might fix booting and shutdown problems.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win10: (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, Fast Startup is disabled.

See if that helps.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello mr.WAWood! I did what you told me but the problem is still not solved. I am using windows 20H2, BIOS version 1.14.01. Pressing the power button takes the laptop 40 seconds to reach the desktop state, and the last bios time is 15.0 to 15.4.

I turned on fast boot in the BIOS.

HP Recommended

@SrdjanS 

Fast Boot and Fast Startup are similar, but different options.  The first is BIOS; the second is Windows.  If you have Fast Startup disabled, then enabling Fast Boot in the BIOS is essentially the same thing.

HP Recommended

i did that, but still nothing.

HP Recommended

@SrdjanS 

OK, so you disabled Fast Startup in Windows and it had no improvement in the boot time?

If you have Fast Boot enabled in the BIOS, it can cause the same issues -- so disable it and see if that helps.

HP Recommended

I did it, and still nothing changes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.