Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to boot a new Elitebook 840 G3 using legacy USB but I cannot get this option to appear on the Boot Menu.  I can boot to the USB using UEFI USB boot, but the option for legacy does not appear.

Secure Boot Configuration is set to "Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable".

USB Storage Boot is enabled in Boot Options.

Bios version is N75 Ver. 01.04

Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Are you aware that if you change to the legacy boot option,  you may not be able to boot to the operating system installed in the notebook's hard disk?

The option to enable legacy boot should be as in the following image. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Yes, I am aware of that.  I am trying to boot to usb to install a different OS image.

HP Recommended

Check the edit I made in my previous post. Look in the advanced tab of the BIOS.

Why not create a USB EFI installer for the OS you want to install and use it?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have Secure Boot Configuration is set to "Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable" as mentioned in my original post.

We have an existing image that we have used on all previous EliteBook 840 laptops and we need to use the same image on this laptop.  To use this image we need to boot to legacy usb.

HP Recommended

Have you considered rolling back to BIOS version 1.03 to see if it makes a difference?

BIOS Version 1.03 Rev. A

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7815295&swItemId=ob_159090_1&swEnvOid=405...

Never mind. I read the following enhancement note.

Addresses an issue with the HP SureStart implementation. HP strongly recommends transitioning to this BIOS version at the earliest opportunity. NOTE: After the system has transitioned to this BIOS version, earlier BIOS versions will be blocked and cannot be reinstalled.

I suspect you wil have to contact HP directly to get help with this since the rollback is blocked.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

this seems to be a more widespread issue on HP's Skylake systems.

I encountered the same problem with an HP 840 G3 and an HP 1030 G1 (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-Elitebook-1030-G1-USB-Legacy-Boot-not-possible/t...).

A linux installation with grub on usb is working with a HP Folio 1020 G1 - an not recognized by 840 G3 and 1030 G1.

Kind regards,

HPUser2k15.

HP Recommended

hi bro

check my link hope this help your problem regarding uefi is greyscaled can't change it to legacy only

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Unable-to-boot-from-USB/m-p/6218919#M117405

regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.