Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

After I do a Featured update for my Windows 10, I have a problem getting to my Login Box screen. After I turn on the computer it takes about 30 minutes before this box appears an I can login. My Mother Board is an HP 1521 KBC Version 32.35 and my current BIOS is68CVD Ver F.50 7/8/2014.  Is there a fix for this, like a BIOS update? I could not find one on HP site.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Katz007 

According to the specs I could find, your model PC came either with Win7 or Vista preloaded, not Win10.  This not only means you Upgraded it to Win10, it also means it is several years old.

My suspicion is that the hard drive is failing -- and that is causing the very long wait after initial boot until you get a login screen.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

Please report back the test results.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions and comment.

I did update my HP ( IT Friends Help) from Windows & to Win 10. I also had my HD  and my Ram replaced to SSD and 32GB. I did follow your suggestions and tested my HD. I also performed the other tests on the list. They all passed with the exception of the battery test which gave me a failure ID# U0830M-8JS9PK-xD702J-C00303. I then used HP"s Hardware Diagnostics App which passes my Battery.  Thanking you .

HP Recommended

As an update to my issue by resetting my Windows 10 , my issue has been resolved. During this reset Windows deleted my original Windows 7 and made a "clean" install of Windows 10. That seemed to do the trick. Down side is that it deleted some HP Apps, that I can no longer find on the Web. May be it is time to consider purchasing a newer laptop. 🙂 Thank you for your comments.  Best Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.