Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy x360 m6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Envy x360 m6

model m6-aq103dx

Laptop randomly shuts down showing a memory management error before rebooting. 

I have run the memory diagnostic and it shows a "hardware problems detected" but does not create a diagnostic report after the reboot. 

Would this "hardware problem" be specific to the memory cards?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A RAM replacement can be a very simple repair. If you are willing to invest some time you can do a search for your laptop and ram replacement to see view documentation or even watch a video demonstration of the repair. Memory modules themselves typical cost between $40 to $80 for an 8GB to 16GB (8GBx2) replacement. 

The type of memory your laptop uses is DDR4-2133 SDRAM and it looks like it has two slots for your RAM modules. The maximum amount of RAM that your laptop can use is 16GB. There are videos that demonstrate how this upgrade can be performed. I would post the link to the video but am unsure of the rules here.

You can also take it in to a service center or repair shop to get a quote if you prefer someone with a bit more knowledge and expertise do the work for you. Most provide a quote for free.

If you decide that repairing the laptop is not worth your time or money then most certainly a new laptop with an adequate warranty will give you and your daughter the piece of mind knowing that she has a new unit to accomplish her tasks.

For more information regarding your unit: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05315773

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Defective RAM or memory is most likely the issue you are experiencing. If the laptop is still under warranty I would recommend that you contact HP support as they will assist, confirm the RAM is defective, then setup an option for repair.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. 

The laptop is not under warranty so I am trying to decide if I should replace the RAM or if I  should buy new a laptop. My daughter needs a reliable pc for online school. The current risk is if it will reboot during an online class or testing.

HP Recommended

A RAM replacement can be a very simple repair. If you are willing to invest some time you can do a search for your laptop and ram replacement to see view documentation or even watch a video demonstration of the repair. Memory modules themselves typical cost between $40 to $80 for an 8GB to 16GB (8GBx2) replacement. 

The type of memory your laptop uses is DDR4-2133 SDRAM and it looks like it has two slots for your RAM modules. The maximum amount of RAM that your laptop can use is 16GB. There are videos that demonstrate how this upgrade can be performed. I would post the link to the video but am unsure of the rules here.

You can also take it in to a service center or repair shop to get a quote if you prefer someone with a bit more knowledge and expertise do the work for you. Most provide a quote for free.

If you decide that repairing the laptop is not worth your time or money then most certainly a new laptop with an adequate warranty will give you and your daughter the piece of mind knowing that she has a new unit to accomplish her tasks.

For more information regarding your unit: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05315773

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.