Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17-cb0004nt
Microsoft Windows 11

Hey everyone,

A week ago my laptop suddenly shut down.

I thought its gonna ve another usual unplug/plug battery thing, so i opened it unplugged the battery and plugged it again after 10 minutes or so.

But it remained unresponsive, so i took it to few local repair stores, some told me its a mainboard issue that can be repaired(they couldnt),and one said my CPU is dead and laptop is useless.

Is it possible to fry CPU( PC wasnt overheated when it shut down by any means,cpu was around 60-70 degrees. Or is it more likely that i fried some motherboard components(like capasitors in voltage regulation module) and them causing a short circuit?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi GimrtM

Thanks for reaching out.

These checks should be done by a reliable repair shop. However, please update BIOS and chipset of your computer from the link below:

OMEN by HP 17-cb0004nw Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Also,  I see that you have tagged Windows 11, does your computer have Windows 11 installed on it? May I know how did you upgrade it to Windows 11?

Please keep me updated.

Regards, 

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for taking your time. 

Unfortunately im not able to update drivers or bios since my computer does not open, its completely unresponsive to power button. 

I updated to windows 11 via "Windows Update" itself. 

I only take my notebooks to places i trust, but im just not sure if they can pinpoint the issue. Frying cpu is an extremely hard thing when computer is barely even hot(as i said, was chilling around 60 degrees), so i didnt find it believable when a repairshop said that to me. 

Im rather hesitant to take it to HP tech support repair shops because of their bad reputation in Istanbul. Its quite known that they just try to change every problematic part as a whole instead of being more price and pinpointing damaged components, which in turn increases the price.

I am just curious to know that if its possible for a cpu to burn in relatively low heat levels out of nowhere. 

Thank you for taking your time to respond again. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for updating me.

It could be a malicious or virus that effected your computer not hardware issue. Therefore, I would suggest performing a clean install. You can find more troubleshooting steps in the link below as well as steps for rescuing your data before going through clean install:
https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2021/09/recovery-options-in-windows-11.html#.YgnrtYhBzIW

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.