Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
No idea, it doesn't say anywhere on my laptop or the paperwork that came with it

After using my HP laptop for FIVE days, it died. I keep getting an error message saying "boot device not found" and telling me to install an operating system on my hard disk.  It appears that my computer was running an automatic windows update that caused it to crash. I need my computer up and running immediately, as I am a teacher stuck working from home, using dustance learning, during this pandemic. But I can't get anyone at HP to help me. I called their technical support number but it is unwilling to give me any option to speak to live support. It will only let me use the virtual support, which is useless. The virtual support finally promised to get me in touch with a live agent, but then kept asking me repeatedly what my product was. I have no idea, it says the type of laptop nowhere on the laptop or on the tiny bit of paperwork that came with it. When I enter all of the serial and product numbers (about 10 different times) it tells me my warranty has ended and that's it. I have used this laptop for FIVE days!! I don't care if my warranty is over, someone should be able to get on a phone and explain to me how there product crapped out after FIVE days use!!! It is obvious that HP could not care less about their customers once they get their money from them. I will NEVER buy an HP product again. This has been the worse customer service experience of my entire life. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Chenoanoel 

I am sorry you are frustrated.

The problem with not knowing what kind of computer you have is simply that - well, you don't know what kind of computer you have.  It makes it more difficult to ask for help.

You (say) do have the serial number - you can submit a case to HP Technical Support using that information.

You can also find out what kind of computer you have using the serial number.   (Please do NOT post that information here.)

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

OR

In your case, enter the serial number

and / or

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

Warranty Expired??

If you purchased the computer only five days hence, if the computer was new-in-box when you purchased it, if you purchased the computer from a reputable merchant (not off the back of a truck, for example), then the computer is not out of warranty.  It is true here are certain things that are not covered under the standard warranty but the warranty is not expired.  

For those reading - 

Warranty Check

NOTE:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.

I will ask someone to take a look.

Be patient - there are many, many, many people asking for help.  We are not a direct conduit to HP - we will try to help.

The way it should work:

Should there be a response, the moderator / agent will post back here before using other methods to contact you.  Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message.

If someone does contact you without first posting here, and if you have any doubts, respond here and we will check to make sure the agent who contacts you is actually from HP.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I didn't purchase the computer 5 days ago, but I first opened the box and began using it 5 days ago. It is definitely out of warranty, both the Geek Squad guy at Best Buy (my 1st call before going to HP) and the virtual assistant confirmed based on the serial number that it is out of warranty. Regardless, a laptop should last more than 5 days, barely used. The Geek Squad guy said it sounded like a heat issue, which is apparently relatively common, but obviously a manufacturers defect. I would think someone at HP would still be able to help me, when you could easily look at the computer's usage and see that it was only set up for use less than a week ago.

HP Recommended

@Chenoanoel 

OK, understood.

I cannot reasonably comment on whether a contract / warranty should be extended for lack of having used the equipment.  This is simply not something for which my opinion serves any purpose.  I do not work for HP.

I have left the request in place for someone to look at your inquiry.   Should there be a response from HP,  you can ask your questions and present your case.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Chenoanoel
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.