Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I see similar questions, but no real answers for my issue.

I have an HP ProBook 450 G3 with a corrupted BIOS. It powers on to a black screen and fans running, but nothing else. The previously owner must have powered it down in the middle of a BIOS update. I tried to reset the BIOS and the CMOS, but nothing changes. So I want to make a recovery flash drive on another computer or within a VM.

I downloaded the BIOS file (sp136606.exe). I extract it and run through the installer. I can get to the point in the below screenshot, but the option to make the recovery USB is grayed out. Actually, all I can do it make a BIOS backup, which fails, because it's isn't an HP computer.

I tired contacting support, but they just gave me nonsocial answers, then told me to mail it in for repair. It's out of warranty, and I'm just trying to keep it out of a landfill.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 6.15.12 p.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.