Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart m7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When waking up from sleep there is no text box to type in a password or pin, the sign-in screen is just the background pic and three items in the lower right, network, accessibility and power. The touchscreen, touch-pad, mouse and keyboard all seem to be working. the only useful option is to restart which gives a good sign-in screen with text box and keypad on touch screen for pin and even responds to the keyboard. this problem has been intermittent for a long time, now after the last update of windows 10 it happens every time and my only option if it goes in sleep with the password/pin enabled is to restart it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I found the problem, it was that the HP SimplePass applications in the start menu had been re-enabled. These are for the fingerprint reader, once I disabled them I can sign in as normal after waking from sleep. 

Cheers : )

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@frankq44

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand there's no login box at sign in screen on wakeup using windows 10,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you change the power options to include password during sign-in?

If you haven't made the changes, the updates may have and hence I would request you to check the options under control panel, here's how you do it:

1. In Windows, search for and open Power options.

2. Click Require a password on wakeup.

3. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
  4. Select Don't require a password and then click Save changes.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Yes I have set it to require a password at wakeup from sleep since the upgrade, actually I have changed that setting back and forth many times in trying different things to see if it makes a difference. When I have it set to never(no password on wakeup) it works fine, comes up skipping the sign in screen.  That is it works as expected.  When I set it to require a password (I'm using a PIN ) it wakes from sleep and goes to the sign-in screen as expected but the sign-in screen does not have my picture, name or text box to type the PIN in. I've gone back and forth many times trying different things to no avail. 

- The sign-in screen works fine on starup but not when requiring a password on wakeup, it looks like the same screen, it just missing the elements in the middle.

Additional imformation: When Windows 10 Creator upgraded on this HP notebook and My home built (Mostly Asus, win 10 pro) desktop pc both were messed up and I had to reinstall the sound drive to replace the generic Microsoft drives win 10 upgrade installed.

my home built machine wakes from sleep with a PIN like normal.

I have also posted all of this on the Microsoft windows 10 forum.

HP Recommended

@frankq44

You've done a remarkable job performing the steps suggested earlier, great work 🙂 

And don't worry, as we should be able to fix this up with a few more steps and I'll be with you until we ensure this issue is fixed. 

Here's the alternative way of changing or ensuring you have the settings in control:

1. In Windows, search for and open Settings. In Settings, click Personalization. You can also right-click the desktop then click Personalize.

2. Click Lock screen on the Personalization sidebar, then click Screen saver settings.

The Screen Saver Settings window opens.

3. Select a screen saver from the menu.

4. Click Settings to open a settings window for the selected screen saver (if settings are available).

5. Click Preview to see how the screen saver displays on the computer screen. Move the mouse when finished previewing the screen saver.

6. Select the number of minutes in the Wait field. This is the number of minutes of inactivity before the screen saver opens.

NOTE:

Make sure the Wait time for the screen saver is lower than the number of minutes before the computer enters a sleep state.

7. If you want the computer to require login credentials when the session is resumed, select On resume, display logon screen.

8. Click OK to save the settings and close the Display Properties window.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I found the problem, it was that the HP SimplePass applications in the start menu had been re-enabled. These are for the fingerprint reader, once I disabled them I can sign in as normal after waking from sleep. 

Cheers : )

HP Recommended

@frankq44

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for. 

I Thank you on behalf of the forums community for taking the time to let us know about the solution 🙂

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have also had the problem  of no login screen after the laptop locks.  This has occurred since the May-June 2017 Windows 10 update was applied.  (I also had the AccelerometerSt.exe Systm Error with VCRUNTIME140.dll not found; fixed as directed by uninstalling/reinstalling HP 3D DriveGuard.  Thanks, HP.)  

The login works fine at startup but does not reappear after locking.  Recommendations below did not work.  CTL-ALT-DEL does nothing.  No response from system so must do Restart to get login and desktop back.

I have an HP Envy laptop with TouchSmart screen and fully updated Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8 long ago.)  In my solution search, saw  comments on reinstalling Windows 10.  Ugh!  I don't really want to go there!

Appreciate the help.

HP Recommended

Hi I also have this problem, occurred only in the last (approx) week, very frustrating. I have an HP Envoy, windows 10, latest updates (not Touchsreen). Have tried to search for MS solutions, got impression it is try this, try that...

The found this thread in HP Forums.

This Envoy is 2 years old, AMD A10-5750M With 8GB memory, 64 bit Windows 10.

Please help, very frustrating!

HP Recommended

Hi @julianfej,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding the computer not showing the login screen after waking up from sleep. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a recent software or windows update?
  • Did you update the bios and graphics drivers?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you better.

For a start please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and graphic drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers after selecting the correct Operating system, then follow the on-screen instructions and check again if the issue gets fixed.

For further assistance please check this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935

for sleep related issues and performs these steps

• Disabling the password requirement when resuming from sleep
  • Disabling hybrid sleep in Windows
  • The computer does not wake up from sleep or hibernate mode – perform Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows. Enable the power management options for Mouse and other pointing devices in device manager if available.

Then restart the computer and check if the issue is corrected.

If the issue continues please try these steps from the command prompt of Windows

How to skip password prompt after sleep using Command Prompt

You can still get the same result using Command Prompt.

To disable the required sign-in option when Windows 10 wakes up, do the following:

1. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu, and select Command Prompt (admin).
  2. If you want to disable the sign-in option while your device is running on battery, type the following command and press Enter:

powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0

If you want to disable the sign-in option while your device is plugged in, type the following command and press Enter:

powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0

To enable the require sign-in option when Windows 10 wakes up, do the following:

1. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu, and select Command Prompt (admin).
  2. If you want to enable the sign-in option while your device is running on battery, type the following command and press Enter:

powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 1

If you want to disable the sign-in option while your device is plugged in, type the following command and press Enter:

powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 1

How to skip password prompt after sleep using Settings

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Accounts.
  3. Click on Sign-in options.
  4. Under "Require sign-in," choose Never from the drop-down menu to complete the task.

• Once you completed the steps, you'll no longer be required to enter a password after waking up Windows 10 from sleep.
  • To go back to the previous option, follow the same steps, but on step 4, make sure to select the When PC wakes up from sleep option.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂 Also perform these steps one at a time and check if the issue gets resolved. If any step resolves the issue, please do not perform the other steps.

Don't get perturbed by the troubleshooting steps given. it is very easy to do if you do it one step at a time.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks a ton for the solution, I really worked for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.