Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

When I restart my laptop or turn it on, I have a screen showing my background, time, signal strength and battery life but the box to input the password is missing. I cannot therefore get any access into my laptop. No matter what buttons I press the box does not appear. Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@LJ23 Welcome to HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Please log into the device using the safemode, and try the below steps:

1.) Follow these steps:

a.    Click Start, type “netplwiz” (without double quotes) in the Start search box and hit Enter.

b.    Under “Users” tab, check the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option.

c.    Click “Apply” and “OK” to save the settings.

2.) Follow the steps provided to fix the issue.

a.      Press Windows Key + r.

b.      Type in the command lusrmgr.msc in the search box.

c.       Press ok.

d.      Double click on the users in the left pane.

e.      Once you get the list of users, right click on the user account that you are using.

f.        Click on properties from the context menu.

g.      Uncheck the box which says account is disabled.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, I followed this but during point 2. I got the error message “This snapping may not be used with this edition of windows 10. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the accounts tool in the Control Panal.” 

Help please 

HP Recommended

@LJ23

Thank you for posting back.

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. 

If the computer doesn't boot after the HP logo, then try performing a system restore from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.