Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I am furious now, HP assistant recommended some updates to me, one was a BIOS update, so i let it run. It was plugged into a AC adapter the entire time, after the install of the update was at about 47% i walked away from the laptop for about 10 minutes and came back to a black screen. Waited for awhile with no response what so ever, screen would not display anything. I have made a recovery flash USB, tried win key+B(or V) and power button (2-3seconds) it will not recover bios. The fan is running and can tell the backlight comes on display but nothing but a black screen. I have taken it to a local repair shop and they even tried pulling the battery off the MB and cant get it to post either. I have only had this laptop barely over a year and like a month out of warranty. Called HP support and they wanted to try remote access even tho it will not boot thru bios. Then i was told $59.00 to beable to send it to them plus $500 in repair costs. This is insane that it was a HP update recommended to be installed and it bricked my laptop!!!

edited*

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Rmackintosh I understand the seriousness of the issue and only when the update is interrupted due to a bad internet or another program is when such issues occur, that said, I suggest you follow the steps mentioned in this article to ensure the correct steps are being followed to recover the last working BIOS: Click here

If the issue persists, try using the steps to create a USB with the BIOS recovery file using the steps from the same link mentioned above and it should resolve the issue.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community!

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As i stated i have tried all the suggested actions and nothing has worked. I have made the recovery usb but its not working with win+B(V) and the AC adapter was plugged in the entire time, BIOS update was already being installed when the screen went black

All i get is a black screen, taking it to a local shop they could not get it to post either. I found a replacement MB for $400 which is ridiculous, if i could at least find a schematic for the motherboard and a replacement for the BIOS chip to replace that would be nice but of course im left with no options

HP Recommended

@Rmackintosh I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem after online BIOS update on my 15-bs115dx . Tried all recoveries options (BIOS from USD flas drive, Windows+V, Windows+B, etc), but same result: led on the power cord, inicial led but black screen (without bips). Can you help me?

HP Recommended

Look HP!! Clearly a bios update that went out is messed up somehow, and i am receiving no help other then being told to try window key+B(V) which is NOT working on a 15-bs115dx. Sure i could pay $400 for a new motherboard but i dont have that kind of money. Please offer an actual solution, wish i never ran the stupid update that HP Assistant suggested....thought i could trust it 

HP Recommended

Same think. I never thouth any update could cause so much trouble. Hope they come up wiith other suggestion because I've tried all, but nothig worked for me.

HP Recommended

They fried our bios chips with a bad update, mines only probably a month out a warranty so they wouldnt help me when i called, they were rude on the phone and kept trying to get me to pay $60 for remote access then $500 for repair if they couldn't fix by phone

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, I am so frustrated that nothing seems to work, I wish I never accepted the HP recommended BIOs update. My laptop is an HP bs192od. I need HP support and they keep sending me to the windows+B option and USB that is not working at all. The computer doesn’t have instructions so it is impossible to access any command. HP is there a solution for this problem? At least a chip that we can buy to replace? I cannot afford a 400 usd motherboard for a problem caused by your recommended update. Hope I can get a response from you.

regards 

HP Recommended

Hello @Riddle_Decipher,

you mention that "...only when the update is interrupted due to a bad internet or another program is when such issues occur...".

If you read carefully you will see that this is not the case.

The 10mins that @Rmackintosh was walked away from laptop, is the timing where the BIOS update from HP assistant requests from user to confirm immediate restart the system. If user will not confirm immediate restart then HP assistant perform force restart in one minute approximately.

The problem is that when system tries to access BIOS after restart, it is not possible any more. At this time no internet connection is needed nor any other program is running.
So, it would be good idea, if you are really interested, you have to look at the BIOS package that provided to your customers.

Same problem also with my laptop from August 10. BIOS downloaded and verified from HP assistant but unfortunately now, my motherboard is bricked. HP Greece asks from me 310Euros for a new motherboard since is not interested for the cause of the problem but only for the fact that my laptop is more than 1 years old.

A question for you: According to the EU laws, the minimum period for warranty is 2years. My Laptop is 1,5 years old. Can you please answer if the refusal from HP Greece to service free my Laptop is accepted by HP Europe?

If you are not the proper person to reply this question, can you please provide me the proper forum?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.