Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-ce3065st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having a problem with my notebook. It was working fine for the last 8+ months and it started happening yesterday. This notebook came with a Kioxia 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS drive) and later I added a 2TB Samsung 970 EV0 2,5 inch SSD as a secondary hard drive in the additional slot available. The secondary drive only has my personal files and VM disks for work.  I've been getting a blue screen of death every time I turn on the device since this morning, with the error unable to find system 32 winload.efi.I initially thought my OS is corrupted. 

From the blue screen, when I press F9 and go to boot options and select the OEM Kioxia SSD, it boots fine and gets into Windows and I was able to login and use it.

When I try to go to BIOS from the blue screen (Esc then F10), I only see my secondary Samsung 2TB in my Boot Order.

If I go to BIOS by restarting the device and pressing Esc, in the boot order, Samsung 2TB is listed first. I can move the order using F5/F6, but am unable to save it. When I press Enter, nothing happens. Samsung 2TB is listed first.

I'm not sure how the boot order changed. I updated BIOS too this morning because HP support assistant complained about some updates invalid yesterday and it was removed. I have a feeling it is trying to boot from my secondary Samsung SSD, which does not have any OS. Currently, I am able to change the boot option every time I turn on the device using F9, so I thought of asking some expert advice before I try something and break it completely. I have attached the sequence of images. 

:et me know if you need any additional devices. Trying to see whether I can fix this without opening the device, Thanks for your time and appreciate your help 

20220709_111441.jpg20220709_111519.jpg20220709_111555.jpg20220709_111609.jpg20220709_111711.jpg20220709_111723.jpg20220709_111824.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to temporarily remove the Samsung NVMe SSD, so the Windows boot manager has to switch to the original drive.

Run it that way for a bit, restart the PC and if things seem to be fine, connect the Samsung SSD back up and hope it stays that way.

I have included the link to the service manual in case you need a refresher on opening up the notebook.

It's the only one HP has for the older models.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion 14 Laptop PCIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP au...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to temporarily remove the Samsung NVMe SSD, so the Windows boot manager has to switch to the original drive.

Run it that way for a bit, restart the PC and if things seem to be fine, connect the Samsung SSD back up and hope it stays that way.

I have included the link to the service manual in case you need a refresher on opening up the notebook.

It's the only one HP has for the older models.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion 14 Laptop PCIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP au...

HP Recommended

Thanks . It worked. Removed Sata cable from motherboard and booted it once. then connected Samsung drive again. Its booting again from Kioxia primary SSD.  Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again Thanks for your time

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Nothing I can think of offhand.

I wonder if the BIOS update caused the problem?

HP Recommended

yes something to do with HP support assistant. I am planning to uninstall HP support assistant (or) dont use it to update anything. will leave it upto windows update.  Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.