Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 Notebook

My notebook has started turning itself off in the last week while I'm working on it. Is this a virus?

Please advise, Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@RobLeet,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

What is the operating system you are using?

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Windows 10. Now I can not connect to my home wifi. It appears the laptop is only recognizing a wired connection.

Please help!!

HP Recommended

@RobLeet, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Using the wired connection, try updating the computer. Here is how you do it-

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Also, perform a hardware diagnostic test-

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The wifi ability returned to my laptop. I've completed all available updates. The laptop is connected to wifi. it has shut down several times since my last communication, but I think it was to install updates. The operating sys still says it's Windows 8.1 instead of 10 that was on it before the refresh. There were times when I turned it on the wifi bars did not appear and there was no wifi driver in Network adapters. That problem has passed and the last six times I powered on the laptop it connected to my home network. Will I be able to retrieve Windows 10?

I checked for updates and at this point all have been updated. I did not proceed with step two since your message said with a Wired connection, and I am working wirelessly. Please advise if it is safe to proceed with your previous direction using wifi.

Thank you,

RobLeet

HP Recommended

@RobLeet

Yes, you can continue with the wireless connectivity. We suggested wired because the wireless wasn't working.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.