Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can anyone please help.

My Laptop has updated and now does not boot. (The hard drive light has been flashing but nothing on screen which is just blank),

I can get it back on using system restore (F11) but it just updates again and returns to blank screen on restart.

Is there something I need to do to stop this ?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@Jon676

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try these steps from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03518165

Once done, let's disable Windows Update: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Betty0610

Thanks for your contact. I had already covered the page you suggested. I have disabled windows update for 7 days. I have updated the bios. I purchased the laptop new in January. This is a conflict caused by part of the update in my opinion.

After the update restart the hard drive chatters away as normal but nothing is displayed on screen after the HP flash and a fiew seconds of the spinning dots.

If I press F11 at this point I get to a blue screen where I can use system restore (there are other options but they don't resolve the issue.

I  am sure I cant be the only one with this issue.

Is there anything else I can try to resolve this issue please

HP Recommended

Have you performed all the steps from the first document(link) I gave you? 

When you connect it to an external monitor, do you see a blank screen there too?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes all steps tried

I used hdmi to connect to tv but nothing

HP Recommended

Does this also happen in the BIOS?

Tapping the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen is supposed to get you to the menu of options. Then select the F10 option to access the BIOS.

If yes, I recommend you to contact the HP Support Team as this could be a hardware issue.

Link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Note:  Select the country accordingly to get the contact details for support.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty0610

Pressing the escape key allows me to enter the bios screen no problem.

This is a windows update issue I am pretty sure. I am using the device now to communicate with you but when the auto update kicks back in on Sunday pretty sure I will be back to blank screen again. Obviously I don't want to have to use system restore every 7 days + If my system is not up to date I may have a security risk .

HP Recommended

Let's try a System Reset here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04742289

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Betty0610

No it has done exactly the same thing. updated after 7 day pause then nothing on screen after update except cursor arrow I have now postponed updates for 1 month.

Not sure where we go from here. I wonder if anyone else is having same problem with the envy 17" ?

HP Recommended

Let's download and run this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

Once done, then do the Windows Update.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.