Did you mean: 
Maynard9
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Older laptop

HP Recommended
Pavilion g6

I can not get this laptop to boot into safe mode.  I have tried f8  and f10  during booty process.  I can not remember my password to this laptop.    

I also tried stopping Windows from loading by holding down the power key to shut the laptop down during startup.  Nothing I have done, keeps it from booting all the way to the password screen.

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,743 30,650 2,800 6,761
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Maynard9 

You're NOT going to be able to reset it without knowing the password -- if you could, there would not be much value in assigning it a password, now would there?

Safe mode will not allow you to bypass the password.

Passwords can NOT be recovered; instead, they have to be reset.

If your PC reset your password on you, we can not help in that because we have no access to either the original or the new password.

We are not permitted to assist in resetting passwords due to HP Policy.
--------------------
For Admin password resets, you have to contact your regional HP Customer Support location directly for assistance.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
--------------------
For BIOS or power-on password resets, because the password is encoded onto a chip on the motherboard, replacement of that motherboard is required. HP does not reset the BIOS password on the current motherboard.

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do it for you -- but we can not assist in that in any way.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation