Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite Dragonfly
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Some time ago, my laptop overheated and shut itself down. I waited a while, and successfully restarted it, used it, shut it down. Since that time I have booted it up, used it all day for work, shut it down sometimes, hibernated it other times, restarted several times, even installed a bios update today.

EVERY TIME it boots, I get the annoying beep and the 90D warning. Even after I successfully restarted from state in which I verified the temperature was 59 degrees (using core temp).

How do I acknowledge / clear this warning?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Does it have discrete video card? Perhaps it's the video that is overheating  rather than the cpu?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Does it have discrete video card? Perhaps it's the video that is overheating  rather than the cpu?

HP Recommended

Great question. No, but I have an external eGPU that I normally plug it into. (it functions as a Thunderbolt docking station as well.)

I unplugged it, restarted it (twice for luck), plugged it back in, restarted it again, and now finally the beep has gone. Maybe it was as simple as that!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I guess that the eGPU is set to run hotter than the normal thresholds for a built-in laptop GPU (it came with some pretty extreme warnings about not touching it for 10 minutes after using, etc.), so possibly the temperature is triggering a generic "too hot" warning on shut down? Not sure, I'll keep monitoring!

HP Recommended

Well done on helping yourself and sharing the solution to help others, it's a great learning experience.

HP Recommended

Oh, for anyone who finds this thread in a google search, the eGPU is the eGPU Breakaway Puck RX 5700. The AMD software never triggers any kind of heat warning, so I'd never thought to blame it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.