3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Overheating warning (90D) EVERY TIME I boot after successful shutdown

HP Recommended
Elite Dragonfly
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Some time ago, my laptop overheated and shut itself down. I waited a while, and successfully restarted it, used it, shut it down. Since that time I have booted it up, used it all day for work, shut it down sometimes, hibernated it other times, restarted several times, even installed a bios update today.

EVERY TIME it boots, I get the annoying beep and the 90D warning. Even after I successfully restarted from state in which I verified the temperature was 59 degrees (using core temp).

How do I acknowledge / clear this warning?

4 REPLIES 4
stevecomputer
Level 5
321 318 11 52
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does it have discrete video card? Perhaps it's the video that is overheating  rather than the cpu?

user_1852
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Great question. No, but I have an external eGPU that I normally plug it into. (it functions as a Thunderbolt docking station as well.)

I unplugged it, restarted it (twice for luck), plugged it back in, restarted it again, and now finally the beep has gone. Maybe it was as simple as that!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I guess that the eGPU is set to run hotter than the normal thresholds for a built-in laptop GPU (it came with some pretty extreme warnings about not touching it for 10 minutes after using, etc.), so possibly the temperature is triggering a generic "too hot" warning on shut down? Not sure, I'll keep monitoring!

0 Kudos
stevecomputer
Level 5
321 318 11 52
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well done on helping yourself and sharing the solution to help others, it's a great learning experience.

0 Kudos
user_1852
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh, for anyone who finds this thread in a google search, the eGPU is the eGPU Breakaway Puck RX 5700. The AMD software never triggers any kind of heat warning, so I'd never thought to blame it. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation