Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, good afternoon, I hope you can help me. I have a HP Pavilion Dv6 from 2011, i have Windows 10, 64 bits (genuine). I have 2 years or more working fine with Windows 10. Ok, 2 weeks ago I opened it (with an expert tech) and cleaned all the dust it had, including the dust accumulated in the fan, a "dust pillow" in the exit of the heat inside the fan protection. All that was cleaned and all the thermic past which was dry, was carefully cleaned too and replaced with a japonese one. The computer worked perfectly these 2 weeks and now when the Windows is starting the pc shuts down unexpectedly. It suddenly shuts off, (black screen with no power). This happens sometimes 30 - 40 seconds after I press the power button and sometimes minutes after, so, not always watching the desktop (windows) already started. I describe this all because I really dont know if it is a software (Windows 10 related), a BIOS problem or hardware issue.

I would appreciate your excellent help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mfabb 

Sorry, but there is really nothing we can do for you from here.

My guess, based on your description, is since the PC stays on for a short while and then suddenly shuts down, that is a thermal overheating issue -- and while you say you changed the thermal paste, do you have experience in applying such paste in the past?

Asking because folks often think a LOT of paste is needed, when in fact, only a very thin layer is needed.  You generally put a single drop in the center of the CPU and all but scrape all of that off with a plastic strip before reattaching the HSF.  IF you put too much on, it actually causes the CPU to overheat.

If you've already done just this (leave only a very thin layer), since there is nothing we can do and no diagnostics you can run, you would have to take it to a shop and have them reapply a different paste to see if that works.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

.@WAWood

I start this message by apologizing for not responding quickly to you. The internet connection here in Venezuela is a complete disaster, it is one of the worst in the world.

I really appreciate the guidance you gave me. I am not an expert in applying thermal paste. That's why I did it with the help of an expert technician.

According to what you tell me, we could have done something wrong. Therefore tomorrow, which is the day on which the technical Mr can help me, we will check the paste and clean the edges in case it has been left over and if it does not work, we will remove it very carefully and reapply the paste, but I think it would be better try a different paste.

I am going to test it tomorrow after doing that and I will give you news.

Thank you so much Mr.

HP Recommended

Hello Mr WAWood, we have tried a lot of solutions and it became worst. Now the laptop shuts down just a few seconds after pressing the power button.

Oficially, my PC has died. My 8 years old HP Pavilion DV6.

I really appreciate the help tip you have given to me. Have a great day and an excellent weekend. Thank you very much.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.