Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I need help for finding the way for my computer to automatically boot on Linux instead of Windows(10).

Both systems are installed on my machine and I wish to access the one or the other when starting my computer.

In practice I wish my machine to automatically start by launching Linux, because Linux asks whether I wish to work with Linux or with Windows. Windows does not seem to avail that kindness!
So far the only way I found to work with Linux is rather complex: let the machine start with Windows, which appears to be the only option, then go into the Windows lauching parameters, then into the advanced ones, then into the UEFI changes, then the machine restarts, then Linux appears in the launching possibilities. Probably all the UEFI possibilities are not freed. Putting Linux in first place in the lauching sequence appears impossible. Let us say that I did not find the way to do it 😉

After the machine has been stopped, the sequence of system opening is therefore back to Windows first.
I ignore whether it is normal but on my machine, if I try to access the BIOS/UEFI at the very beginning of applying the power, nowhere Linux appears. To see it appear I must transit through Windows, which then presents the previously hidden BIOS/UEFI options.

I have other machines working both on Windows or Linux, but this one, which I bought second hand a few days ago, does not agree.

I cannot believe being the only one with that problem but I did not find any proper answer to it in the forum.

I thank in advance the experts who will tell me what I should do to solve that problem. I am not an expert, so please do not use too technical terms 😁

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@batisse 

I'm sorry, but HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled.

IF you replace that with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

Modern PCs with UEFI, instead of the older BIOS, are especially difficult to install because you have to go into the UEFI settings and make several changes before you can even boot from a USB stick -- and we are unable to assist in that work.

Your best bet for support with issues with Linux is to contact the support forum of the distro you are using.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Sorry but, with all the respect I owe you,  that is not the type of answer I expect 😁.

My machine is not guaranted any more. I just wish to use it the way I want. I assume the full responsibility of it.

It is the card manufacturer who installs the BIOS or the UEFI in it. Why installing a more capable UEFI whilst forbidding the  access to those capabilities?

How to install a basic BIOS on my mother card? This, so far, worked absolutely fine 😃

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.