Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 13" convertible
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Oooook. I have had my laptop for about a year and decided to give it to my mother after replacing it with a Mac. I thought I'd restore it to factory settings before doing so. The laptop initially came with windows 8 and I updated it to windows 10. So I wiped it to new keeping windows 10 and all was well. I put it away and the next day went to install itunes on it and upon booting up got the CMOS checksum invalid error. I pushed enter to continue booting... then (eventually) another error stating Primary (internal) battery (601). 

I have now spent HOURS going through guides and forums to aboslutely NO avail. 

I have done the following: 

Run diagnostics - which say "Primary Battery: Unknown" 

I have updated the bios using windows key + B

I factory restored the laptop going back from windows 10 to 8 after reading some had issues post update thinking MAYBE that would help... nope. 

I can't run calibration because the laptop acts like there is no battery installed. 

I have a flashing white light whlie the laptop is on but never the amber light indicating charging. 

The power indicator states "plugged in not charging" 

This model is sealed, so unplugging the battery isn't happening (unless buying a new one is the for sure and only solution since I'm not wasting time and money for a pointless fix... which from what I've read in forums seems to happen often enough that I'm skeptical)

The laptop powers on and functions normally (despite a VERY long boot time in between those two errors)

I have checked the adaptor for issues, none, pins are straight, etc. 

I have uninstalled the battery UFEMI or whatever it's called and rebooted with no luck. 

Hard reset (i think? there's no indication that it was successful and there are 40 million ways according to all the forums i looked at).

I'm probably leaving out 7 more things I've tried - but basically I'm to the point where I can't figure out what to do. 

My issue is that prior to restoring windows 10 to new, I never had a single issue with the battery nor ever once had to know what CMOS or Bios were (i'm still not entirely sure). I can't fathom that my battery just died the day after it was still holding a charge that lasted 5 or more hours despite its age. 

Is there ANYthing else anyone can think of that I should try? It would be nice to know for certain the battery was the culprit but at the same time, this CMOS business is also driving me crazy. Thank you SO much in advance for any help! 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry, that message is NOT for CMOS (or RTC) battery. Can you boot using AC now ? Please use the following instructions to check:

http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03325217

If failed, you need to replace the main battery, not RTC battery.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply - 

I am getting two separate error messages at startup. One for CMOS checksum error, I push enter to continue with boot up, and then a second error pops up eventually stating the battery is low (601). I press enter again and then after some more time with a black screen, it lights up and then loads windows and to the start screen. As I stated, I've run the battery check and the result is "Primary Battery: Unknown" then it states to restart, reinsert battery and ac adaptor (this model doesn't have an easily removable battery) then it says if that doesn't work to make sure i'm using the latest BIOS version and battery check. I have done all of those things. I am fine to resign myself to spending the time (and $50) on a new battery, I just wish there was a way to know for certain. Again, outside of that the fact that the battery was working perfectly fine one day and suddenly not at all the next, seriously confuses me. I haven't done anything out of the oridinary with it- so I'm also confused how to prevent something like this from happening (seemingly randomly) again. Anything else I can try before a new battery? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.