Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop PC 17t-cg100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is quite a strange one: the laptop (ENVY Laptop PC 17t-cg100 CTO) is constantly trying to power on, but then immediately shuts down after a couple of seconds and starts again. In trying to access the boot menu, I've discovered that holding any other key (apart from the power key, obviously), disrupts this short-circuit and lets the computer boot normally as long as the key keeps being pressed constantly. I've gone all the way up to booting windows normally, shutting down the computer completely and everything is fine... but as soon as I let go of the random pressed key, the laptop will again power on and start the truncated cycle again.

Clearly there's a problem with the keyboard, but I'm wondering if there's any way to disable/enable it and still be able to power the computer on and off.

Thanks in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well thankfully someone from HPSupport helped me, so I'm writing the solution in case somebody has a similar problem:

- Unplug everything from the laptop (power cable included)

- Hold down the power and the mute key for 30 seconds straight

That should perform a hard reset and disrupt the self boot cycle.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Well thankfully someone from HPSupport helped me, so I'm writing the solution in case somebody has a similar problem:

- Unplug everything from the laptop (power cable included)

- Hold down the power and the mute key for 30 seconds straight

That should perform a hard reset and disrupt the self boot cycle.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.