Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

The first time I got my laptop (came with windows 7), I used HP Client Security app to register fingerprints for power-on authentication. From that point on, on "Power-on Authentication" screen I could either use my fingerprint, enter (associated) user password or enter Administrator password to continue boot process (or enter BIOS - for BIOS I needed to enter administrator password).
Today I just reinstalled OS (Windows 10, for like 3rd or 4th time) and as soon as I installed Synaptics fingerprint reader driver and rebooted, "Power-on Authentication" screen no longer showed an option to use fingerprint or enter Administrator password, only asks for user password. User name (password is asked for) is equal to my windows username from initial (Windows7) setup...
I can ask, why I can't enter Admin password on Power-on Authentication screen (as I could earlier), or why my fingerprint got removed (it survived every BIOS update and prev. windows reinstall), but all I want is to get past that screen. So, if anyone has information/solution to try, please share it with me. Thank you !

Best regards,

Sasha

P.S. I know BIOS (administrator) password but I don't get prompted to enter it. Instead, only that user password (set along with my fingerprint by "HP Client Security" app) is prompted to enter. I never used that pwd for Power-on auth - only my fingerprint or admin password, and neither of those is shown now. And I don't know darn user password

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey @kssh 🙂

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

Regards,

MarcusC

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.