Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 6560b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i recently purchased a hp probook 6560b and wanted to give it an upgrade by replacing the standard 320gb 7200rpm hdd with a 240gb Kingston A400 ssd. but the notebook doesn't recognize the ssd at all, it says no drive is installed. the notebook has the latest bios available  ( F.67 Rev. A; (Feb. 28/18) ) )and the ssd has the most recent firmware. i know the ssd isn't defective because it works just fine in my hp 8740w laptopc.  The 6560b sees the partitioned, formatted SSD in a USB attached enclosure and files can be read from/written to just fine.  But it;s MIA when installed in the primary internal drive bay

hopefully one of you can help me out.

thanks in advance.  Warren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have 2 6560b probooks. One has a Samsung 850 ssd - no recognition problems and it runs at 6gb. The other has a Samsung 850 pro and it will only recognise the Ssd when the sata interface in the bios is set to 3gb mode. Try that to see if you can get your ssd working.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Have you made it active and given it a drive letter?

Are you a Windows Insider by chance?

SSD products with Toshiba controllers were notorious for being problematic for Windows 10. The two Windows latest updates (April and October) were supposed to have taken care of the issues.  Your Kingston SSD has the Toshiba 2D Planar 15nm TLC memory and Toshiba Phison PS3111-S11 controller.

Check  your notebook's Windows updates to see which have been installed.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The drive isn't seen by the BIOS so Windows updates  won't help.   Yes I'm a windows insider, and this 6560b IS NOT my beta test computer.  I just purchased a HP S600 SSD 120 gb, and when I receive it, I'LL POST HOW IT ( OR IF ) IT WORKS.

HP Recommended

I received ,cloned, and ttied booting up the HP  S600 120 Gb SSD in the 6560b Probook to no avail.  The BIOS reluctantly saw the SSD as a storage devfice, but the whole system slowed to zero  response after trying to boot either from the SSD ( "Hard DIsK read error,  press CTRL +  ALT+ DEL to restart" ) or a DVD Win 10  or Macrium 7 boot disk ( Files would load, then just a black screen ( I left it to think for 2 hours in this state but nothing )).  So HP's claim of the is SSD being aable to work in all of their computers save workstations doesn't seem to pan out.  So, ANY CLUE AS TO WHAT TO DO NEXT? 

HP Recommended

HP will not claim that something won't work if it is not true. The company has too much to lose.

Personally I think you should try a clean install instead of cloning.

You have not stated what you are using as a cloning utility. Cloning utilities are not always viable.  Some of the free versions are quite worthless and frustrating. Even Samsung's Magician SSD management utility has its problems.

My favorite is Paragon's Migrate OS or Drive Copy Professional.  I have used both and never had an issue. 

Are you using a USB to SATA connector to perform the cloning or have you moved the disks to a different PC for the procedure?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I am using the latest free version of Macrium 7 which was recommended  by Britec09.  I'm cloning from the HDD on the 6560b to the HP S600 through the USB port and a HDD docking station.  Verification is successful.

HP Recommended

OK.  The free version. 

Unfortunately, the free versions don't always work even though their software verifies the cloned image. 

"Verification is successful" but it isn't working may be a tell.

Personally, I have never had much luck with using Macrium software for cloning.

Why not just bite the bullet, install the SDD and perform a clean install with USB installation media to see if it works?

HP Recommended

ok,  i've now used "Paragon  OS to SSD" (cloned my OS HDD , and I  get exactly the same result as using Macrium Reflect 7.x,  which is - the BIOS (latest from HP .67 Rev. A) still doesnsn't recognize the SSD (HP S600 120 GB) when installed internally  where the HDD normally goes.

I have also tried to perform a clean install on the basic, MBR,  primary,  active partitioned SSD using a Win 10 Pro install created from the M edia Creation Tool on MS's website (version 1803, October, 2018, and things looked hopeful until Windows came up with an error msg. at the copying files stage ( "0x80070057 ERROR WHILE PREPARING PARTITION SELECTED FOR INSTALLATION" ).

OK, so HP, NOW WHAT DO I DO?  I'VE TRIED 3 BRANDS OF SSD's IN THIS 6560B,   ALL TO NO AVAIL.............WHAT'S NEXT|?

HP Recommended

I have 2 6560b probooks. One has a Samsung 850 ssd - no recognition problems and it runs at 6gb. The other has a Samsung 850 pro and it will only recognise the Ssd when the sata interface in the bios is set to 3gb mode. Try that to see if you can get your ssd working.

HP Recommended

EUREKA!  That did it David!  Taking the interface speed to 3 Gb/s from 6 Gb/s solved it,  thanks so much.  I cloned the HDD using Macrium Reflect 7.x and things went the way they should have from the getgo!  My boot time went from 2 minutes with the stock seagate 5400  rpm 320 GB., down to 50 seconds with the Kingston A400 240 GB SSD, as well as 50 seconds with the Kingdion S280 240 GB ( re-badged Crucial innards) SSD.  I also did a clean install of Win 10 to the HP S600 120 GB SSD.

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.