Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response and i have already upgraded bios to  F.27 Rev A . My laptop is upgraded to windows 10(build 19043) from window 7  now and my machine have  both Legacy and secured boot  order. I tried  to convert mbr2gpt.exe method  and conversation was successful   but failed to boot up when secured boot is enable with error message no boot device found. My machine has secured boot  so does it not support uefi? need your help?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Logically, no
but now I don't think I can help you, I've never made this type of change

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, @Ghale82 

It should have worked, but the only other thing you can try if you are willing, is to clean install W10 in EFI mode.

What that means is you create a bootable USB installation flash drive using the media creation tool from the link below.

Note that you will lose your data by reinstalling W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

You need to be able to boot the W10 installation flash drive from a bootable EFI boot source (EFI DVD or EFI USB).

Boot from the EFI USB flash drive and install W10.

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' optiion.

You don't need to use your W7 product key.

W10 should be installed in EFI mode, and then you should be able to enable secure boot.

You may have to enable legacy mode if you don't see a bootable EFI USB flash drive to boot from.

HP Probook UEFI installation of Windows 10 - YouTube

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply and i had tried with uefi usb bootable windows 10 bootable drive created with rufus but my machine failed to recognized  the usb bootable drive, screen turn black with green dots on it.I tried with another pc it is working there.Then i created mbr bootable windows 10 usb drive it is working perfectly.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

When you have secure boot disabled, do you still have an option to boot from an EFI boot source such as a USB flash drive or DVD in the F9 boot options menu?

If you do, you can use the media creation tool to create a bootable USB installer or burn an ISO to a dual layer DVD and just install it from one of those devices.

Then W10 should be installed in EFI mode and you should be able to enable the secure boot setting.

In my PC's I have the option to boot from legacy or EFI boot sources.

If I install W10 in legacy mode, I can't enable secure boot and the BIOS is in Legacy mode.

But if I install W10 from an EFI boot source, the system information utility shows the BIOS in EFI mode, with secure boot off.

Then I go into the BIOS and enable secure boot.

HP Recommended

When secured boot is disable and enable legacy  no boot from EFI boot source such as usb,hard drive and dvd etc shown .It just shows boot from efi file and hard drive in boot option menu on boot manager

HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have the EFI Rufus flash drive in a USB port and you select 'Boot from EFI file,' does the Rufus flash drive show up under that section as a device you can boot from?

If so, boot from it and see what happens.

HP Recommended

yeah i created gpt usb bootable drive by rufus it is shown on boot manger but when booting with the gpt usb the created my machine do not recognized screen turns black with green dot. I made a mistake in previous answers i mean to say that when secured boot disable legacy there is no efi boot source show, it just show boot from efi file

HP Recommended

Gotcha.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the problem could be.

When you had done the MBR2GPT, that alone should have done the trick.

I tried that simple fix on a PC in legacy mode but the command run and came back with a 'couldn't find the partition'

error or words to that effect, so I had to reinstall W10 in EFI mode.

HP Recommended

Anyway thanks for your valuable time helping me . I  am also confused , my machine couldn't be converted from MBR to GPT.My machine has both boot order legacy and secured option 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.