Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cc023cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

PROBLEM - black screen on start-up

• SMART HARD DISK ERROR - Hard Disk 1 (301)
    • IMG_0164.JPG
  • Continued start up
  • BOOT DEVICE NOT FOUND - Hard Disk (3F0)
    • IMG_0165.JPG
  • Hit F2 - System Diagnostics
  • Performed QUICK HARD DRIVE CHECK
  • Screen:
    • IMG_0167.JPG

BACKGROUND INFORMATION -

• I've had this problem MULTIPLE times before (don't have an pictures but it was definitely a black screen like shown above)
  • After many (forced) shut downs and start-ups, I would be redirected to a blue screen where I was able to revert/recover(?) my computer to the way it was a few days ago and my laptop worked fine after that - although, sometimes it took a few more forced shutdowns/start-ups
  • SOMETIMES, I would not be redirected to a blue screen but leaving my laptop alone for a few hours did the trick
  • HOWEVER, this time I have left it alone for two days and I still see the black screen + not have seen the blue screen
  • My HP warranty expired, contacting support = fee

PRIOR TO THE BLACK SCREEN -

• Recently updated Windows a few days ago but have not downloaded any other programs/softwares
    • It was a pretty big and long update where a windows pop-up said to update now or update an hour late
  • Actually, sometimes when I update windows (automatically on shutdown), this black screen would show up but after a few forced shutdowns, it would start up fine
  • Sometimes, also after updating windows, my laptop would run SUPER slow and laggy - then I would force shutdown (too laggy to even hit the shut down or restart button) BUT I would be able to start it up fine and then my laptop performance was fine
  • My laptop has not been dropped from high distances like a desk
  • After the recent update, I was able to start up my laptop TWICE, on the second start-up my laptop performance was super slow and couldn't even open my documents folder - so I forced shutdown but upon restarting, this black screen came up

ATTEMPTS -

• Enabling Legacy Support : after entering the number and pressing enter, another black screen would show up saying "no bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key"
  • Switched back and disabled legacy support
  • Had a few things connected to my laptop, like a wireless mouse connected by USB - disconnected after a few restarts attempts but black screen still shows up
    • This solution worked once in the past

ADDITIONAL INFO -

• Battery is not removable
  • Unwilling to remove backing to check hard drive, etc because I still have Costco warranty
  • My battery is at low capacity (black screen saying this has popped up at start-up twice before)
  • I am not willing to factory reset because I have not backed up my important documents and pictures yet
    • If there's a solution that can get me in for just a few minutes so I can back them up, that would be great
  • I'm not sure if my operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit but definitely Windows 10

It would be amazing if someone can help me! I will be starting school in a few weeks and NEED this laptop to work!

I have typed out everything I can remember leading up to this problem but I'm willing to provide more information if possible.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My dad actually tried booting my computer in safe mode and saw that the time on my computer changed to some date in 2016 (must've changed with the hard drive error?) and I think he changed it to the correct date or something. Now, my laptop miraculously turns on without a problem except once I log into my computer, my computer speed is incredibly slower than before.

Thank you for the help! I'll consider getting a new laptop with SSD instead.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you still have warranty you should take it in as the Hard Drive has failed and needs to be replaced and the OS reinstalled.

If you want to do this on your own you could insert an SSD which would give a great boost to performance. I can provide a guide.

Let me know,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

There's no other way to get into my laptop just one more time?

Will I be able to recover my documents and photos if I replace the hard drive, etc? Is there any other way to retrieve my files?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You could remove the hard drive and connect with a SATA to USB cable to another computer and see if you can recover the files. It is possible it will work with SMART Error.

You could try booting the PC with a live LINUX Usb drive which you can create on another computer.

Regards,

David

HP Recommended

My dad actually tried booting my computer in safe mode and saw that the time on my computer changed to some date in 2016 (must've changed with the hard drive error?) and I think he changed it to the correct date or something. Now, my laptop miraculously turns on without a problem except once I log into my computer, my computer speed is incredibly slower than before.

Thank you for the help! I'll consider getting a new laptop with SSD instead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.