Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15.6 inch Laptop PC 15-eh1000 (2H5A6AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi everyone,

I updated my bios via Windows update (from version F.12 to version F.20). The flashing didn't encounter any errors. However, at startup I was unable to boot to my Windows partition. Windows asked me first my Bitlocker key and then I got the BSOD error INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

The "bootrec" commands (fixboot, fixmbr etc) returned that there was no disk. Same for Diskpart it didn't list me any disk.
I want to clarify that the Bitlocker key was well recognized.

I managed to join my Linux partition without problem (Kali Linux) and all of my 2 partitions were clearly visible.

I reinstalled the BIOS with the Win+B+power shortcut: the reinstallation went well but it didn't solve the problem.

I tried to downgrade the BIOS but it is impossible. I launched the setup of a Lenovo but the exe does not even launch. An error is listed in the windows event viewer. Same observation on an HP G3 therefore impossible to create a bootable key.

I tried to repair the MBR with the boot-repair live CD but the disk was not recognized.

By dint of research and various attempts (Secure mode reset to Off, then to ON, reset CMOS, reset BIOS, reset TPM). I ended up deleting my system partition hoping that this would solve the problem except that Windows cannot be reinstalled via a bootable key (installed with the Win11 iso and burned with the official Microsoft tool): I encounter the "A Media Driver Your Computer Needs Is Missing" error. I downloaded the driver for my ssd (SSD M.2 CRUCIAL P5 Plus), I tried to install it by loading the driver but it didn't work. I don't even have an error message to help me. The driver was retrieved from the Crucial site, it is the latest.

I tried to create a new data partition in GPT: it didn't work.

I finally decided to format the SSD with the Crucial tool via a Live Linux usb to start on a fresh setup  (the bios was reset on its side and I have a full backup of my partitions). Even so I still can't see my disk when I try to reinstall Windows.

What disturbs me the most is that the latest BIOS for my laptop on the HP website is still F.12. Is BIOS F.20 legit for my laptop??

Like @Cas95 I have the same interrogations about this firmware (and i have the freeze too!).

I'm starting to despair and I can't find a way to make it work like before. Can you help me please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The F.20 bios doesn't recognize my SSD Crucial P5 Plus for a Windows installation but there was no problem for a Linux installation.

***bleep***

For those in the same situation as me, I reinstalled the original SSD which was sold with the laptop (which I fortunately kept) and which was recognized, then I downgraded the bios. I was able to put my SSD Crucial P5 Plus back.

Thanks to HP for fixing this problem for the next BIOS updates on this range.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The F.20 bios doesn't recognize my SSD Crucial P5 Plus for a Windows installation but there was no problem for a Linux installation.

***bleep***

For those in the same situation as me, I reinstalled the original SSD which was sold with the laptop (which I fortunately kept) and which was recognized, then I downgraded the bios. I was able to put my SSD Crucial P5 Plus back.

Thanks to HP for fixing this problem for the next BIOS updates on this range.

HP Recommended

Hi,

We're glad you managed to solve your problem 😉

Thank you for sharing how you solved it. This way, you will be helping other users that have the same question.

Thanks,
VictorS

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.