Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion 15 laptop, I am trying to setup the secure boot option, I managed to enable the legacy support, but for some reason the secure boot option is greyed out, please advise 🙂 

Spoiler
secure boot option grayed out

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello ThatDJDude,

If you see Secure Boot or Secure Boot Configuration in your BIOS but it is grayed out try the following:

Step 1. Go into the BIOS and Load HP Factory Default Keys and see if Secure Boot becomes available.

Step 2. If it does not than go into the operating system and disable “Fast Boot” (Steps below).

Step 3. go back into your BIOS and try Load HP Factory Default Keys.

Step 4. enable Secure Boot at this point.

*** NOTE - Both Legacy Support and Fast Boot need to be disabled to Enable Secure Boot.

I am linking a document called “Secure Boot (Windows 8)” below. This document tries to address how to enable/disable Secure Boot on HP computers running Windows 8.

Secure Boot (Windows 😎

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I tried restoring defaults, the Secure Boot is still grayed out, then I switched on Legacy Support, the secure boot is still grayed out, feeling a little bit lost over here 😕 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your reply !

I feel the Fast Boot is still enabled. Please disable it and try again.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I double checked, the fast boot is of, yet stil secure boot is grayed out, also, my system logs are grayed out so I can't delete the old logs, might this have something to do with it? 

HP Recommended

Under security settings, set security level default. 

HP Recommended

Ive had luck with selecting "Boot Mode" UEFI Native (Without CMS). Once this is slected you should notice Secure boot becomes available. You will also notice that once you complete these steps "FAST BOOT" is automatically selected for you and secure boot still works.

Hope this helps

Br,

Hans

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.