Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Notebook 15q-bu09TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop model is HP Laptop 15q-bu09TU. I am using Win 10 (64 bit). In my BIOS the secure boot option is grayed out, hence I can't change it. I need to enable secure boot option to install Win 11. I tried to disable Legacy Boot menu, but no help. I also set Administrator password but he secure boot option is still grayed out. Please help me to enable secure boot option.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

It sounds to me like W10 is installed in Legacy mode.

You have to install W10 in EFI mode in order to enable secure boot.

You can do that by booting your W10 installation flash drive from one of the bootable EFI boot sources listed in the F9 boot options menu (EFI DVD, or EFI CD).

After you install W10 in EFI mode, you should be able to turn on secure boot.

HP Recommended

@Abhik555 

You need a lot more than Secure Boot to install Windows 11.

You need to know EVERYTHING that your system lacks for Windows 11, not just what the MS tool tells you.

Here is a link to a third-party tool that will check all the currently known requirements for Windows 11 and tell you what fails on your PC: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases

Do NOT try to download this using MS Edge as it flags it as malware -- which it is NOT -- use a different Browser instead.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I re-installed Win 10 in UEFI mode, but still secure boot menu is grayed out.

HP Recommended

Interesting...

Unfortunately, I don't know why you can't enable secure boot when W10 has been installed in EFI mode.

On all of my PC's where W10 is installed in EFI mode, I can enable secure boot, as shown in this report...

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1624885028947.png

HP Recommended

Hi, @Abhik555 

See if the steps provided in the solution below are of help to you...

Solved: Can't enable secure boot in bios - HP Support Community - 8099369

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.