Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 17-cb1707nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I'm kinda desperately searching a UEFI setting called "Power on by keyboard".

But for some reason the OMEN UEFI doesn't contain any options for that.

Already tried updating the BIOS, didn't help either.

Did i oversee something or does that simply not exist by the high-end-class OMEN notebooks?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Are you sure you don't mean to say wake from sleep or hibernate by keyboard instead of power on by keyboard?

Power on is always done with a power button unless a PC or notebook OS is in sleep or hibernate state. In rare cases, the power button is part of the top enclosure and almost a part of the keyboard due to its proximity.

Invoke the Device Manager

Click on the Keyboard device and right-click it and select properties.

In the HID keyboard device properties dialogue there are a number of tabs.

Click on Power Management and then use the touchpad and cursor to put a tick mark in "allow the keyboard to wake this device".

Now click on OK. Now you will be able to wake your notebook or PC from a sleep/hibernate state with the touch of a keyboard.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, but this sadly doesn't solve my problem.

Yes i am sure, i definitely mean "Power on".

I want the  PC to boot as soon as i push a button on the Keyboard. (doesn't even need to be a certain one)

I had this option set up once by another device.

Back then this option was located in the power management options of the BIOS.

I also found several step-by-step descriptions in the internet to set this up.

But my laptop doesn't even have any power options in the UEFI.

HP Recommended

OK.

I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavor to find a solution other than pressing the power button to turn on the notebook.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you very much.

I have tested it now on another machine.

I came to the solution that this seems to be a specific setting wich is not a standard because this device didn't have that option as well.

But i've found another setting who would help where the laptop would get powered up when the AC gets plugged in.

Sadly this option seems to also not exist with the OMEN UEFI.

So my last option would probably be to flash another BIOS on or something like that, but i guess at this point i either would let it be as is.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.