Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The laptop (or, probably it's Windows 10's fault) recently began waking from sleep mode with all running programs closed.  I'm not sure exactly how recently this behaviour started, but I think it's been within the last month or two.  I tried some of the fixes seen on forums, including Microsoft's own (apparently it's a pretty common problem) to no avail.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as it's a pretty annoying issue...

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@milkcookie,

Good Day.  A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with the computer apps closing after waking from sleep. Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this occur after a power outage or surge?
  • Was there a recent software or Windows update that could have caused it?

For now, try these steps:

Please perform a hard reset from this link: https://hp.care/2nwQ054

Then try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device. Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and graphics drivers from this link: https://hp.care/2syreDe Please select the country and type the product#  of the computer. Then select the correct operating system and follow the on-screen instructions to do it.

Now check if the issue gets fixed.

If it continues, try these steps:

Then perform these steps to see if it gets resolved:

Then perform these steps to see if it gets resolved:

1. Go to Control Panel, then click Power Options.
  2. From the Select a power plan page, click Choose what the power buttons do from the list on the left panel.
  3. On the Define power buttons and turn on password protection page, you then have the option of choosing what happens when you:
    • press the power button
    • press the sleep button
    • When I close the lid- select the sleep option (not shutdown or hibernate)
    • Now check again.
  • If it does not work then please perform all the prescribed steps from this link:http://hp.care/2gMk20y and follow the option “The computer does not wake up from sleep or hibernate mode”. Then check if the issue is resolved. Please disable Hybrid sleep as well.

Please change the power plan and set it to high performance from this link:http://hp.care/2rUUbXB

Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue continues, try these steps:

1. Select the Start button, and search for Command prompt.
  2. In the list of results, right-click Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator.
  3. Type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:
  • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
  • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Now check for issue resolution.

If it continues, then try these steps:

perform a System File Checker scan, follow the steps on this link.

Now check if it gets fixed.

If it continues then try these steps:

- Right-click on the small Battery Changing icon on the bottom right-hand corner and select Power Options
- Click on Change Plan Settings next to what power plan is selected.
- Click on Change advanced power settings
- Expand Sleep and make sure to set Allow hybrid sleep and Hibernate after to Never or 0
- Expand Hard Disk and set Turn off hard disk after to Never or 0
- Click Apply then OK

• If the issue still persists, then create a new user account as an administrator from this link: https://hp.care/2rZfJBC

Log into the new user account after restarting your computer. Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue still persists, then backup your important data and perform a Microsoft Push Button reset to factory settings by following instructions from this link: https://hp.care/2toQrBj

Perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Good luck to you. I will keep a watch for your response.  It is paramount to assist you as you are a valued HP customer.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Huge apologies for the delayed response!!

To answer your first question, it hasn't occurred just once, it happens every single time I try to wake from Sleep mode (or perhaps it actually happens when I go into sleep mode, and I just don't discover the fact until waking).  As I say, I began having this problem pretty recently.  Whether the problem *began* after a power outage or surge -- I suppose it is possible, as I have recently been in an area with a lot of thunderstorm activity.  I don't have any reason to think that something like that was the cause, but I confess that I'm not 100% sure.

To answer the second: Yes, there are *always* Windows updates being installed without consent or prior knowledge -- just a notice to restart the machine now, please, to finish the installation.  I fully expect and believe that the problem stems from a Windows update.  I posted on this forum rather than some kind of Windows 10 forum in the hopes that somebody might have a working solution specific to my laptop.

As for the steps to take in trying to solve the problem, thank you so much for listing them all, but frankly I very much resent having to go all through all this crap (resent Microsoft, I mean).  It's just one thing after another with Windows 10, and what I really want to do is just install Windows 7 on this machine -- I would have done it a long, long time ago, except that it doesn't offer touchscreen support.  So, basically, I'm more inclined to just muddle through living with a crippled laptop than I am to spend hours upon days going through all kinds of rigmarole trying to find a solution to the problem when probably (just speaking from experience) none of them are going to work anyhow.  If I change my mind and try to see if I can fix it with these workarounds you have offered, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the prompt and thorough response -- it's very much appreciated!

HP Recommended

@milkcookie

You're most welcome. 🙂

As @DavidSMP is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

Thank you for your kind words and appreciation. It keeps us going.

Sure, feel free to try out the steps as per your convenience. In case you need any help do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

You take care and have a blessed week ahead.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Having the same issue as David and I agree with him in that I resent having to deal with this.  I am not that tech savy so it is frustrating to have issues with updates.  

HP Recommended

I was having this same problem on a laptop from a different manufacturer. Turns out a recent Windows update had disabled the Hybrid Sleep mode. Turning it back on restored the old behavior: Closing the lid or allowing the computer to sleep no longer closes open applications.

To turn Hybrid Sleep mode back on, go to Settings > System > Power & Sleep 

Under "Related settings" click "Additional power settings." The Power Options window should appear.

For whichever power plan you're using, click "Change plan settings." 

In the next window, click "Chagne advanced power settings." You'll get yet another pop-up window called "Power Options."

Find the Sleep category and click the '+' to spin down more options. Click the '+' next to "Allow hybrid sleep."

Set it to 'On' for plugged in. Maybe for On battery, as well, but that's up to you.

Click "OK" to commit the changes. 

Back in the Edit Plan Settings window, the "Save changes" button is probably greyed out. Make a change to one of the options there to enable it so you can save. You can change it back to the previous setting immediately if you like. I am not sure if that step is actually necessary, but the first time I tried to make the change it didn't stick.

Hope that helps anyone who runs into this problem in the near future!

HP Recommended

This worked!! Thank you!!

And it was so easy; no crazy tech stuff required!

HP Recommended

My Spectre x360 has just started doing this following the latest Windows 10 update (2019-12 Cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1903 for x64-based systems KB4530684 installed 12/12/2019)

I am disinclined to do the remove and reinstall video drivers and bios as suggested, and this laptop doesn't have the hybrid sleep option (it's just not there!)

It's very annoying, as I have to re-open all the programmes I had open when I wake the laptop, which really defeats the point of having a sleep mode at all: I might as well switch it off completely.

HP Recommended

@A7744364646464

After the updates, I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, HPSA was fully up-to-date, with nothing waiting to be installed.

But I have fixed this by replacing sleep with hibernate.  I now have to press the power button to reactivate it (so maybe 15 seconds longer than waking from sleep was?), but the time saved in not reopening everything more than outweighs that.

Switching from sleep to hibernate has also fixed problems I was having with the trackpad disabling itself (actually, I think the whole USB bus, as it wouldn't accept a USB mouse either) when it woke from sleep.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.