Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-ap000na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been unboxing my new Spectre x360 Convertible for the best part of this afternoon (I am one happy camper! 🙂 ). Among other differences vs. the previous model ('ae'), I noticed that the power button didn't blink in Windows sleep mode. Instead, it goes from white light when the laptop in on to no light at all in sleep mode (I am quite sure that Windows is indeed asleep: I get the login screen in two seconds after opening the lid).

I wonder if this is an intentional change of design in Spectre x360 'ap' iteration? Or, is something wrong with the machine I just got? Personally, I appreciated the white blinking light on the power button in my previous Spectre letting me know it was asleep. 

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE #2: Mystery revealed!

It is actually very simple: the new Spectre X360 13-ap000na will not go into sleep, bacause such state is not supported by the laptop's hardware! Instead, it supports Windows 10's Modern Standby mode, also known as S0 Low Power Idle

Annotation 2019-05-05 222812.jpg

I guess this is the reason why the white LED in the power button does not blink after I put the laptop into 'sleep' by either closing the lid or selecting 'Sleep' from Windows' Power Menu. For comparison, the LED does blink in my 'old' Spectre x360 ae's power button - becasue the older laptop supports 'true' S3 Sleep state.

This is a mixed bag of news to me. On the one hand, I was happy to find out that my new Spectre supported the 'modern' power management. It is, indeed, coming out of 'sleep' in no time - less than a second after I open the lid. Great!

On the other hand... and this requires much more testing... I fear the power consumption in the 'modern' SO state will be higher vs. the older 'true sleep' S3 state 😞 I have recently left my 'old' Spectre 'sleeping' for over two days, and upon opening the laptop, battery indicator showed 100%. Even if it wasn't exactly true, the leakage must have been tiny. With the new Spectre and its S0 Low Power Idle, I fear loosing more battery juice when the lid is closed - for instance, over night (yes, I can leave the laptop connected to power supply - but that is beyond the point).

Testing continues...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@PiotrJJ wrote:

I have been unboxing my new Spectre x360 Convertible for the best part of this afternoon (I am one happy camper! 🙂 ). Among other differences vs. the previous model ('ae'), I noticed that the power button didn't blink in Windows sleep mode. Instead, it goes from white light when the laptop in on to no light at all in sleep mode (I am quite sure that Windows is indeed asleep: I get the login screen in two seconds after opening the lid).

I wonder if this is an intentional change of design in Spectre x360 'ap' iteration? Or, is something wrong with the machine I just got? Personally, I appreciated the white blinking light on the power button in my previous Spectre letting me know it was asleep. 

FOLLOW-UP: While the laptop was in sleep mode (with its lid closed), I also noticed the power button lighting up for 5-10 seconds and going off again - couple of times, with no obvious pattern...

My struggle continues after changing a few power settings in Windows...

1. Every time I close the lid, the white LED in the power button would stay on for up to a minute... then, it would go off for a second; on again for 10-15 seconds; off briefly; on again for 10-15 seconds; and, finally, it would go off completely. It doesn't 'blink' to indicate laptop is in sleep mode.

To me, it looks like laptop is going to sleep after I close the lid, but Windows is waking it up almost immediately, and this happens a few times.

2. When laptop is in sleep mode, every time I connect or disconnect external power supply (via USB-C port), the white led in the power button goes on for some time, and off again.

UPDATE #1: I might have found the culprit! There is this Windows setting under 'Power & sleep' that allows network connection stay on when laptop goes to sleep:

2019-05-05_LI.jpgAnd, my laptop was set to 'never' disconnect from network when it went to sleep = it wasn't truly sleeping, but rather 'dozzing' 😉 [Interestingly, on my 'old' Spectre x360, I don't see this Windows setting at all...]

Well, I have just changed this setting to 'Always' - let's see what this does to laptop's sleep pattern and battery performance.

UPDATE #2: Mystery revealed!

It is actually very simple: the new Spectre X360 13-ap000na will not go into sleep, bacause such state is not supported by the laptop's hardware! Instead, it supports Windows 10's Modern Standby mode, also known as S0 Low Power Idle

Annotation 2019-05-05 222812.jpg

I guess this is the reason why the white LED in the power button does not blink after I put the laptop into 'sleep' by either closing the lid or selecting 'Sleep' from Windows' Power Menu. For comparison, the LED does blink in my 'old' Spectre x360 ae's power button - becasue the older laptop supports 'true' S3 Sleep state.

This is a mixed bag of news to me. On the one hand, I was happy to find out that my new Spectre supported the 'modern' power management. It is, indeed, coming out of 'sleep' in no time - less than a second after I open the lid. Great!

On the other hand... and this requires much more testing... I fear the power consumption in the 'modern' SO state will be higher vs. the older 'true sleep' S3 state 😞 I have recently left my 'old' Spectre 'sleeping' for over two days, and upon opening the laptop, battery indicator showed 100%. Even if it wasn't exactly true, the leakage must have been tiny. With the new Spectre and its S0 Low Power Idle, I fear loosing more battery juice when the lid is closed - for instance, over night (yes, I can leave the laptop connected to power supply - but that is beyond the point).

Testing continues...

I know this is late, but thank you for posting the information that you found. This is the same case as the 2019 spectre x360 15t as well. It seems to use more power in this sleep state.

HP Recommended

thanks for this information. i was concerned since my computer never looks like its sleeping at all and wakes up in matter of one second or less!

regarding the Network connection, what parameter did you leave?

HP Recommended

Glad to hear the info was useful.

I set Windows to 'Always' disconnect from the network when the laptop goes into sleep. In my case, I do not need emails, calendar event or Windows updates to arrive when the laptop is in sleep state.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.