Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15-b102dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.  Wondering if anyone else has encountered this...

Six months ago, my computer, on start, showed “boot device not found.”  Took it in for service and they said the drive was bad. Replaced it with an NVMe M.2 Samsung 970 EVO plus, and reinstalled windows, office, etc. 

All worked well for about 3 months, then suddenly it happened again. I can’t believe 2 drives went bad in that short of time. 

Right before it happened, the computer had locked up. I was trying to figure out why the camera wasn’t working and was surfing using MS Edge, when it locked up. I tried CTRL ALT DEL and that didn’t work either. Nothing did, so I did a hard restart/held power button. It booted up fine. 

Then I uninstalled the camera through device manager (still trying to fix the camera) and restarted to have windows find and reinstall it, but that’s when “Boot Device Not Found” comes up. It’s not intermittent, it is always “Boot Device Not Found” now. 

I thought it might be the SATA controller since TWO drives failed, but I ran the diagnostics, memory and hard drive check passed. 

Has anyone me else had this problem? If so, how can I fix it?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Wen1r

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Please restore the BIOS back to default and check if that helps

• Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

• Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.

• On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.

• Press F10 to Save and Exit.

• Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?

• Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01443463

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I reset the BIOS, but I still get the same screen (picture attached).

I also took the original drive that was in it when it first showed this failure, and put it in an M.2 NVMe to USB 3.1 enclosure. When I tried it in a different computer, it did find the drive, but I wasn’t able to read the data on it.

i also ran the HW diagnostics and they pass. 

If the HW diagnostics pass, my SSD should be ok, right?

Thanks. 

Wendy
HP Recommended

@Wen1r

Since the Test passed, try restore the Notebook back to factory setting  by performing a System Recovery

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. So I took my laptop into work to have it looked at by our computer department so I didn’t have it handy to try the system restore. 

They said that the hard drive is fine. They thought it was probably a faulty motherboard. Possibly be a voltage regulation issue. They had to disconnect the battery a couple times just to get the device to boot and go into the diagnostic screen.

I was looking to take it in to an HP service center, but I had it at the one closest to me (micro center) and they said it was a bad hard drive when it definitely was not. 

Now that I have it back, I will try the system restore that you recommended. With any luck that will work and it won’t be a hardware issue, but I am not optimistic.

Thank you for your suggestions!. 

HP Recommended

I was unable to do a system restore. I hit F11 and in the lower right corner it said F11 system recovery, but then it went right back to the 3FO boot failure screen. It would not let me do a system recovery. 

I have tried replacing the SSD with a 3rd drive. Still no joy even though when I run system diagnostics, all 3 SSDs pass. 

Just tried something new - disabled secure boot and enabled legacy support.  I was able to get into Windows. Once in there, I moved all my documents to onedrive then I restored to before the last update. When I rebooted, it went into repair mode but won’t let me do anything (none of the advanced options will work) because I don’t have an administrator account set up. If I put secure boot back to enabled and legacy support back to disabled, I am right back in the same boat. 

How do I repair without an administrator account?

and if I can get it working again, is it ok to leave legacy mode enabled and secure boot disabled?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.