Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
15z-cw100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

More often than not when I turn on my laptop (15z-cw100) I get a rather loud whirring sound, loud enough to know something is not right. It has an SSD so I know it isn't the hard drive. I'm thinking maybe a fan or sound card issue? Any ideas? Still under warranty as it is only a few months old.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@kurtass 

An SSD is not a hard drive but just a bunch of memory chips on a card, so you are right in that it does not make any sound.

Also, there is no sound card in the laptop but only an audio chip, but again, it would not make any sound.

This is most likely a fan, and while those generally do spin up when a laptop starts, if it continues to do that for a long time, the fan might be dying.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.