Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 830 G6
Linux

I bought a new Elitebook 830 G6 with FreeDos installed. When I first turned on the notebook I received the  following notification:

"Full Recovery of the Intel Management Engine Firmware failed, because the system was unable to find a valid firmware image file.
Intel Management Engine related functionality will be unavailable. Please install the latest version of Intel Management Engine firmware to complete full recovery."

I then proceeded to install Ubuntu 18.04, but this didn't solve the issue. Now I have this notification every time I turn on the notebook. If I click continue I get to the GNU GRUB menu, where I can choose to boot Ubuntu. Then the notebook works normally. However this procedure is extremely annoying and slow.

Can someone please help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I eventually solved the issue by

1. I installed Windows instead of Ubuntu.
  2. Then I updated the BIOS with the download provided by this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-830-g6-notebook-pc/26609813/...
    (I first tried to update the BIOS with different support programs, which didn't work out.)
  3. Then, when rebooting the system the BIOS finally updated.
  4. Then I reinstalled Ubuntu and deleted Windows. Everything works fine since then.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@felix_8 

'm sorry, but we here are not equipped to provide detailed Linux support.

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that with Linux, or add a Linux OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- as HP provides Linux assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

The primary "challenge" to using Linux on any HP PC is the availability of Linux drivers. Any hardware that does not work will then range from simple (if there are Linux drivers available) to impossible (if there are NO Linux drivers available) to fix.

Since HP does not provide Linux drivers, your best bet for Linux support is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the answer.

To me it seems, that the problem lies within an incompatibility of ubuntu and the hp sure start. Is there any way to turn off the hp sure start?

HP Recommended

I have now deleted ubuntu and installed windows 10 instead. However the exact same problem remains. Each time I turn on the notebook, I get the same error message. After that now windows boots normally. I tried to update all Intel drivers for windows and analyzing the notebook with HPIA, but nothing worked.

HP Recommended

Elitebook 840 G6

Windows 10 1809 x64 enterprise

I have the same Problem.

Every systemstart this message is shown. Able to start by clicking "continue"

HP Recommended

I eventually solved the issue by

1. I installed Windows instead of Ubuntu.
  2. Then I updated the BIOS with the download provided by this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-830-g6-notebook-pc/26609813/...
    (I first tried to update the BIOS with different support programs, which didn't work out.)
  3. Then, when rebooting the system the BIOS finally updated.
  4. Then I reinstalled Ubuntu and deleted Windows. Everything works fine since then.
HP Recommended

@Meister-Eder

Try the following:

• Go to   https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops
  • Enter the serial number of your device. (You can find it at the bottom of the notebook.)
  • Select Windows 10 on the following page as your OS.
  • Download the BIOS and install it.

When you then restart your system the BIOS should update automatically. I hope, it helps. Good Luck!

HP Recommended

Yes, BIOS "update" to the same version worked for me too.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.