Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp laptop

Selected boot device failed.press enter to continue. When doing this laptop shuts off

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@Tazberry, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

As I understand you are getting an error message on your HP notebook and I'd be glad to help you with this,

Please note that remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues. Then try and restart the Notebook. 

Have you connected the Notebook to an external monitor or TV? Please try this step first to see if the display on the external monitor or TV is black also. 

Let's try these steps here:

Perform a Hard Reset

Attempt a Bios Recovery

Run the extensive test on the hard drive from F2

For more steps, please follow the steps listed in the support document - Click here HP PCs - Error: The Boot Selection Failed Because a Required Device Is Inaccessible (Windows 8, 7) - It is for Windows 8 but will work with Windows 10 also. 

Depending on the test results, If the test passes, I would suggest you perform a system recovery using the partition available on your PC. Doing this will set your computer back to the original factory conditions. So, if you have any important data please go ahead and back it up. If this option fails, which means either the partition is corrupted or system file is missing.

Link to perform System recovery: Click here

The only other way to install Windows would be to order the recovery media for your laptop and using the recovery media you can install Windows. You can check if the recovery media is available online on www.hp.com/drivers by entering the exact model no. of your laptop. To find the exact model no. click here: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.