Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 250 G7 6HM78ES
Linux

Hi,

I got that laptop and the vendor sold it with FreeDOS. I wanted to install Linux on it. The installation went smooth, but the laptop never boots into my Linux. I can trick the laptop, take my installation USB drive prentend to install and tell the installer to boot from Hard disk. Then I am in my installation.

The boot partition looks like this

inux-5xu6:~ # efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 2001,2002,2004
Boot0000* USB Hard Drive (UEFI) - VendorCoProductCode (VendorCoProductCode)     PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(0,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x26ce2674,0xac8,0x1e84)RC
Boot2001* EFI USB Device        RC
Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM RC
linux-5xu6:~ # 

Where Boot0000 is my iinstallation USB stick. I added an entry for my linux partition to it.

efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 3 -L "openSUSE neu" -l /EFI/opensuse/grub.efi
efibootmgr -O
efibootmgr -o 1,0,2001,2002

Booting didn't work, so I look again at that list. And it seems HP overwrote my entry. It is not there anymore.

Dear HP, how shall I install a Linux system on your laptop? There are some doubts that your UEFI conforms to the specifications. Any idea? (apart from buy from a competitor)

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi

Dunno.

I got about a dozen partitions, several Operating Systems and nearly as many Boot Managers.

Boot Man x 5.jpgSecBoot change.pngParts of My Disk.png

So you decide whether to go Secure Linux Boot or Legacy Linux Boot.

What order your boot managers are listed in.

Whether to add a Secure Boot Key like MS do.

So what choices did you make?

HP Recommended

Just as a side note, on an older HP laptop I have running Linux fine, so it seems to be very specific to this laptop/BIOS.

UEFI is on, enabling legacy doesn't change anything since the BIOS says UEFI has always priority. So I don't get around UEFI. Secure boot is disabled in the BIOS. I don't have a secure key.

In OS Boot manager I have two entries , one say simply "opensuse" the other one "opensuse and then the ID of the harddrive". Regardless what order, same effect.

HP Recommended

Hi

YAST2 /etc/sysconfig

File: /etc/sysconfig/bootloader

Possible Values: grub, grub2, grub2-efi, none

File: /etc/sysconfig/bootloader

Possible Values: yes,no

Enable Trusted Boot support
 Only available for legacy (non-UEFI) boot.

So does yast run and install the boot loader?

HP Recommended

boot loader should be installed, otherwise I wouldn't have in /boot/efi/EFI/boot the *.efi files.

yast shows grub2-efi as well as secure boot on, but I tried as well with secure boot off. Same result.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi

Secure boot may well be what HP is protecting.

Therefore you look-up

SHIM

MOK-utils

you get a key generated and added to the Main Board, then secure boot is enabled.

Your PC has TPM and HP Sure Start which are probably in conflict with your installation.

Either way I am absolutely no help at all, and will bow out almost gracefully.

HP Recommended

Hello, so you propose a BIOS update? According to your doc that is only possible if the laptop runs windows. Mine runs Linux, so I don't see how I can update the BIOS. If you have a proposal, happy to try this.

My BIOS version is F.19, just in case that would help.

HP Recommended

Hi

It appears I have 3

mokutil -l --db

Validity
Not Before: Oct 19 18:41:42 2011 GMT
Not After : Oct 19 18:51:42 2026 GMT
Subject: C=US, ST=Washington, L=Redmond, O=Microsoft Corporation, CN=Microsoft Windows Production PCA 2011
Subject Public Key Info:
Public Key Algorithm: rsaEncryption
Public-Key: (2048 bit)

Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: C=US, O=Hewlett-Packard Company, CN=Hewlett-Packard Printing Device Infrastructure CA
Validity
Not Before: Aug 23 00:00:00 2013 GMT
Not After : Aug 23 23:59:59 2033 GMT
Subject: O=Hewlett-Packard Company, OU=Long Lived CodeSigning Certificate, CN=HP UEFI Secure Boot 2013 DB key
Subject Public Key Info:

Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: CN=openSUSE Secure Boot CA, C=DE, L=Nuremberg, O=openSUSE Project/emailAddress=build@opensuse.org
Validity
Not Before: Aug 26 16:12:07 2013 GMT
Not After : Jul 22 16:12:07 2035 GMT
Subject: CN=openSUSE Secure Boot CA, C=DE, L=Nuremberg, O=openSUSE Project/emailAddress=build@opensuse.org
Subject Public Key Info:

Over and Out.

HP Recommended

No

That is a Key to repair stuff, over a 2 gig download and not to be taken lightly.

Wont work in Linux as it is an exe file.

But id you took your PC to a Pro it is what they might use.

Bye.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.