Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au009tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my laptops model number is HP 15-au009tx
my computer boots into uefi mode as my disk is gpt style.
but when i press escape during the startup i get the option to alter my bios settings.
When my laptop supports the successor of bios and more feature rich uefi why does it also have the traditional bios?
If The laptop uses uefi to boot than what is the need of the bios firmware and a menu to alter it?
Can't we have uefi alone (as bios is a technology of the olden days) that will work to boot up the computer?hp support.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Hinddeep,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

UEFI, or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface is based on a technology developed by Intel, and over the last couple of years, it has been gaining more attention, as computer manufacturers are starting to install it on their devices instead of the old BIOS. As you might have guessed, UEFI is the successor to BIOS, and slowly but surely, it will take over the market as the pre-installed boot system. It provides legacy support for BIOS functions and on top of that, many other features that makes it better suited for today’s computers.

While the UEFI system has major improvements over BIOS, it is still somewhat restricted due to the processor architecture. 64-bit processors have full support for UEFI systems, while x86 processors will have partial or no support and the OS must emulate a BIOS environment for them to work. When this happens, many of the extra features are lost. Microprocessor manufacturers and operating system developers have been working together to eliminate this problem, and to some extent, they have succeeded. Apple, Intel, AMD, Dell and others have given a lot of thought to UEFI implementation, and Microsoft also has added full support for UEFI in Windows 8.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you require any further assistance.

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Regards.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Hinddeep,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you.

UEFI, or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface is based on a technology developed by Intel, and over the last couple of years, it has been gaining more attention, as computer manufacturers are starting to install it on their devices instead of the old BIOS. As you might have guessed, UEFI is the successor to BIOS, and slowly but surely, it will take over the market as the pre-installed boot system. It provides legacy support for BIOS functions and on top of that, many other features that makes it better suited for today’s computers.

While the UEFI system has major improvements over BIOS, it is still somewhat restricted due to the processor architecture. 64-bit processors have full support for UEFI systems, while x86 processors will have partial or no support and the OS must emulate a BIOS environment for them to work. When this happens, many of the extra features are lost. Microprocessor manufacturers and operating system developers have been working together to eliminate this problem, and to some extent, they have succeeded. Apple, Intel, AMD, Dell and others have given a lot of thought to UEFI implementation, and Microsoft also has added full support for UEFI in Windows 8.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you require any further assistance.

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Regards.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your detailed guidance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.