Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I am trying to install Linux alongside Windows. But in the boot menu, there is no menu showing Legacy mode for USB.  I have Enabled Legacy mode and disabled Secure boot but still, the problem exists. What should I do now?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ekanto 

When you run two OSs on the same PC, they BOTH must have been installed in the same mode.  So, if Windows is UEFI mode (which it probably was, seeing it came preinstalled), then Linux must be installed the same way.

IF you force your PC into legacy mode to install Linux, then it will no longer run Windows.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Windows was not preinstalled. I installed it in Legacy mode. SO I don't see any reason not to boot my USB in legacy mode since both are in the same mode 

HP Recommended

OK, did not know that you installed Windows -- so you're right, installing Linux in legacy mode should work -- but HP does not provide support for Linux.

So, you are on your own with that and should consult the support forum for the Linux distro you intend to install, as they are better equipped to assist you with installation and driver issues.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.